1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

High Angle CV Axles

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by ippielb, Jan 17, 2012.

1. ippielb

ippielb Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I'm looking for high angle CV axles for a 2002 silverado 1500, i replaced my axles with "re manufactured" ones and they are garbage, they growl when the suspension extends. Exact same set up with my old CV axles and they never growled at all.

Basically, looking for High Angle CV joints.
  2. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

why not just do an IFS swap, you have alot of lift on there, i would think you would be going through alot of CV axles.
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I went poking around to see what 9" of lift with 35's on it looked like. Got pics?
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Rough Country used to make High Angle CV's, but from what I'm hearing they stopped production.
    Surprisingly there arent any manufacturers out there making the parts, I suspect the issue is after you go to a set of strengthened High Angle CV's the next part you'll break in the driveline will be the Diff, and thats more expensive and and harder to change. Think of the CV's as a fusible link.
    When I off road my Tacoma I carry an extra CV in a PVC tube just in case, I've only had to do field swaps a few times, it takes about 15 minutes and is a lot easier than trying to figure out how I'm gonna get home.
  5. ippielb

ippielb Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Truck is a IFS, thats the axles i'm looking for, or were you saying solid axle swap?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Don't know good this picture is going to be, but you can see it from distance, two sleds on my sled deck with air bags, 1,400km trip one day, 3 sleds. used a few tanks of gas lol
    Yes, thats what i was after, the thing people dont understand is, my truck is a pavement princess now. It won't be getting abused at all anymore. Barely even driven, and if i could put it better terms, when i drive down the highway, and the truck goes over a little smooth bump and the suspension pushes up, and then goes down immediately after, but the truck is still higher, the CV axles growl... This is not from off roading, and flexing, this is just from daily driving, and commuting. The "re manufactured" axles, have less of an angle then the stock axles do. All i did was swap the axles out and now it growls. Oh and by the way, this is when i'm driving in 2wd down the highway. I'm not concerned about 4x4'ing anymore, i have an 85 silverado for that.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Yea the axles are running past the maximum design parameters. I want to say factory is something like 22deg dont remember anymore.
    Your reman axles sound like they have less angle available.
    Being its a street queen I have seen guys use a die grinder and dremel tool to clearance out the area around the joints, but I'd caution this can make the casting weaker. You may be able to polish the area up and get rid of your growling noise. Problem is you gotta peel the boots back to get at the area and then they dont want to stay on correctly after that, which brings up another subject I'm sure sooner or later you'll have boot tearing issues.
    I looked around for extensions but couldnt find any, I know there were a few shops putting 16th" extensions on and alleviating some of these problems.
    But all in all there isnt any decent solution to the problem short of SAS or lowering.
    Most guys I know live with the problem and learn how to change out CV axles real fast.
  7. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

there was supposed to be a "/solid axle" behind the IFS and before swap, Just take the CVs out completely since you wont use it as 4x4 more, or sell off the lift and buy a smaller lift.