1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

High beam/low beam bulbs

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by K15 Blazer Guy, Apr 30, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy New Member 100 Posts

Most chevys have the dual low beams, and dual high beams for that cool quad headlight look.
    but, a few have single headlights with dual filament bulbs like this one
    [​IMG]
    I want to use a relay kit to make BOTH these filaments come on (high + low beams) rather than choose between the 2...... in the desert you need wattage...
    has anyone done this? im worried that it may cause the bulb to bust... though it never seemed to be an issue on my jeep
    any input or discussion would be great.
    thanks!
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Inspect the wiring to see how many wires are present at the connection point. If I had to guess, I'd expect three wires-- a +12v line for the lows, a +12v line for the highs, and a shared ground between them (saving GM a little cash by sharing it). If that is, indeed, the case, you should probably closely examine the wire diameter of the common ground and compute the amperage it has to carry when both are lit ... and then determine if it's adequately sized for the amperage. (If the wire is undersized it's going to heat up ... which could be bad depending on how hot it gets. )

You're probably safe from a wiring standpoint if it's 4 wires (a ground for each instead of a shared line) ... but if it's a shared ground wire then I suspect you'll probably need to upsize it to the appropriate guage for the combined amps it'll carry.

Once you're comfortable with the wiring, the only way to know if it'll be an issue for the bulb is to try it and find out? If you do, carry some spares so that you can immediately undo it if you lose one or both ... and then replace the lost bulb(s) with the spare(s).
    Last edited: May 1, 2013
  3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

You could also get a good set of Fog/driving lamps to do the job...
  4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I've read that dual-filament bulbs do not last long with both filaments lit for more than intermittent duty like when flashing-to-pass. That said, Surreal and Enkieavalanche are both right on.
  5. K15 Blazer Guy

yeah no matter what were gonna need some extra lights.
    i just added a set of these on my baby! X)
    IMG_0002.jpg
    always wanted those.
    but this post is for a different truck (my dads)

on mine, i have the hi-beam relay (which did come with an extra ground) so all 4 headlights go on (around 240 watts total)
    then i have 2 KC day lighters (about 200 watts) and the 2 cop style driving lights (about another 200 watts)
    so now i dont worry about deer as much =)

but that high+low beam gives you great floodlight action on the roadway...
  6. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

You could get something like this..... Photo-0512 (2).jpg Opps....Gave away my new Mod...:shocked:
  7. h0serdude

h0serdude New Member

Are those LED? We have them on our patrol vehicles at work and they are much better than the single bulb spotlights.
  8. K15 Blazer Guy

no, theyre the 200W old halogen bulbs theyre awesome though. the LEDs cast a bluish light that strains your eyes these are like daylight