High Flow Cats: Worth the Money?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Metaluzc, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Metaluzc

Metaluzc Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

Was just wondering if high flow cats are worth the money in terms of added horsepower or should I just keep the money for a programmer and/or cams down the road? I was looking at getting a supercharger but feel the cost doesn't fit my life right now ($3800 is the cheapest I found just for the supercharger), so I'm leaning towards a DiabloSport tuner, and 4.56 gears but would like some more extra horsepower. Cams would be in the future since they involve a lot of work with the engine so I'm looking for a little more oomph that I cannot get from the tuner alone.

2. canislupis69

canislupis69 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Not sure about the high flow cats, but I would like to know the answer to that as well. I noticed you are running 35's...I highly recommend switching to 4.56's for more power, it will make a world of difference!

3. Metaluzc

Yeah, I'm definitely going with the 4.56's. Just need to find a garage that I trust to do the job and all of the needed equipment.

4. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

your stock ones are just fine, unless they need replacing leave them alone

5. cobra2end

cobra2end Rockstar 100 Posts

I know of 3 diffrent people that have tried the hi flow cats and all three of them had there check engine light come on within a few hundred miles after having them put on. I run one on my honda but my honda is old and it hasn't given me any trouble as of yet. But the car has been parked for the last year while i try and find parts for it for deer got in the way.

6. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

If you're going to change your cats, just get them cut off. Either way your engine light will come on eventually. Mine comes on when it wants and goes off. What some people did, was take the O2 sensor out of the direct path of the exhaust, which means, welding on a spacer, to put the sensor away from the direct flow of the exhaust. And that also fixes the engine light, because the sensor isn't getting all of the flow from the exhaust, only a bit of it. I also have a hypertech power programmer 3, and to be honest, i would recommend getting these, before a supercharger, If you do a lot of highway driving, i would recommend 4.10 gears rather 4.56. With the 4.56 you will be reving quite high when your cruising down the highway. But it will give you so much more power off the line.

7. Metaluzc

The supercharger idea is basically scrapped after I researched the cost of the supercharger and the modifications to the transmission and engine that would be needed. I was leaning towards a DiabloSport Tuner because I found a site that sells them for $287 shipped and have read good reviews about the product. I don't do too much highway driving so the 4.56's seem better for me, I live in North Central, Pa so it's mostly rural area.

8. Silverado-Joe

Silverado-Joe New Member

No cats gives you more power than high-flow cats.

9. Metaluzc

Pennsylvania doesn't allow no cats :(

10. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Dang Pennsylvania!! lol Well you could hollow your cats out and just run a pipe threw them. It'll look like you have cats installed but you'd actually have a straight pipe threw them. It works.