Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

High Mileage Oil - Friend or Farce?

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by Big_Ben, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Big_Ben

Big_Ben Rockstar 100 Posts

Being relatively new to owning a vehicle, and currently on my very first truck of my own, I'm trying to do everything right to make it last as long as possible.

Anyway, I've changed transmission fluid, spark plugs, and I change the oil ever 5,000 km. On my last oil change I bought a case of Mobil 1 directly from Esso here in town. I threw it in and was reading the bottles when I noticed it said "recommended for newer vehicles still under original OEM warranty". My truck is hardly under original warranty so I inquired to a few local mechanics about what mileage is a good time to start using "High mileage" oil. Every single mechanic I talked to said they've never used it and don't believe in it. "Oil is oil, just use a good quality brand like amsoil or mobil 1 and you'll be fine. Don't buy into that 'high mileage' b.s." is pretty much the response I got.

So my question is - anyone here use high mileage oil? Any proof that it's actually worth using it or is it just a label used to sell more oil? Also, anything wrong with using oil "recommended for newer vehicles under original warranty" in a truck that has over 180,000km on it?

2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

I think using oils/synthetics/hi mileage/ oils recommended for newer cars is fine for your high miler. It's just a lot more expensive. Pencil it out and see if it will be cost effective for you and your vehicle.
    Synthetic/high mileage motor oil doesn't pencil out for me because I don't drive a lot of miles. I would hit the time limit way before I would be half way to the mileage limit and would be wasting half the money that I'd paid for the expensive stuff. Figure out how many miles you drive in 6 mo. 8 mo. 10 mo. and see what your oil change interval (time vs miles) will be for you and this will tell you if it would be cost effective for you. If it's not, then you're just throwing your money away on expensive oil for your high miler.

3. Big_Ben

Well I drive quite a bit. I'd say I change my oil 3 - 5 times per year so I drive 15,000 km - 25,000km every year. I see what your saying about cost, but is the "high mileage" oil itself actually altered/formulated so much more specifically for high mileage engines or is it just a marketing ploy? As I said above, every mechanic I've asked so far as told me they think it's just a bunch of B.S. and that there is no benefit to using a "Mobil 1 High Mileage" or "Castrol GTX High Mileage" over Mobil 1 Super 1000 or a normal Castrol oil. No matter how much you drive.

Does anyone know if it's just a marketing ploy or if high mileage oil is actually worth looking into? I'll probably stick with Mobil 1 S1000 but I'm curious to find out the truth about so-called "High Mileage Oil".

P.S. I don't think I've put quotations so many times in any post, report or even email before! lol

4. 01BlackBeauty

01BlackBeauty Member

High mileage oil has a higher concentrate of detergents to clean/combat sludge and deposit build up in the engine. It also has an addative deigned to soften seals in an attempt to eliminate small oil leaks. If your oil stays clean between changes and you have no leaks then there is no need to use high mileage oil.

5. judsteele

judsteele Member

check your local wal mart, mobile 1 now sells a high mileage oil thats what i use, little late on the rear main seal started to leak about a month ago.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Generally speaking oil labeled "High Mileage" is designed for older engines with mileage over 75K. Oil labeled "Extended Life" (or something similar) is designed for running more miles (10-15K) between changes.

I have used Valvoline MaxLife "High Mileage" oil for many years in my cars. All were 10+ years old, 100K plus on the clock. Changed every 3-5K. No problems at all. Very good quality oil.

The MaxLife product is a Synthetic Blend. Some conventional oil combined with synthetic oil.

The most important thing is to use a good quality name brand oil, with a top quality filter. The only Fram I run is the Tough Guard. Better choices are Bosch, Mobil1, WIX.

7. swrevin36

swrevin36 New Member

I have stated this before on another thread. I started thinking about all the vehicles I've had and I have never "Knock on Wood" had an engine problem that was oil related. Also my cars are more like part of the family so I don't trade very often. I have always used Castro Oil in all my cars and trucks, it's the same thing my dad uses. Here is the short list.

85 dodge van 240k+ bought new
    94 Nissan Altima 200k
    94 S-10 225K and counting bought new
    97 Nissan PathFinder 200k+

And the list goes on and on. The point is if you use a good quality oil and the previous owner took care of it, you shouldn't have a problem.

8. ridick_bowen

ridick_bowen Rockstar 100 Posts

Just run some Amsoil oil. You only have to change the oil once a year or at 25k which ever comes first.

9. Big_Ben

Although this is what Amsoil is designed for, going that long without changing the oil just feels wrong to me. Plus, doing an oil change gives me something to do and is a great escape when trying to get away from the significant other! :lol:

10. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

:rofl: ha ha ha that's just too funny!!