1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

High oil level or faulty dip sticks??? 2010 Silverado

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by alkaspeltzar, Oct 4, 2012.

1. alkaspeltzar

alkaspeltzar Member

So, I have a 5.3L 2010 silverado, typically fill with 5W-30 Mobil One. I noticed at the dealarship that after every 6 quart oil change, my dipstick is about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch over the hatch mark. IF i drain out about 1/2 quart then it is right on the money.

So a couple questions:

1. Is this typical, do others see this during their fill up? I have seem some others posting about their 2008 models being like this.

2. Am i checking it wrong? Typically run the vehicle, shutdown, wait a minute or two, then test. I know if you let it sit all night it will show slightly high due to the fact the oil is draining down from everything in the truck.

3. What if they are overfilling by 1/2 quart+, is that going to hurt anything in these engine? I called the dealership, they said that unless i was going to put 2-3 quarts in over recommended, that would be about the only way something would be damaged. So 6 quarts plus/minus a 1/2 quart is nothing worth noting.

What are others thoughts?

THanks Guys!

Kevin
  2. redvett

redvett Member

First of all read your owners manual, you should wait at least 15 minutes before checking oil and the oil change places use bulk oil which is metered out and could be wrong. 1/2 qt will not hurt your engine.

3. bazar01

bazar01 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

My first oil change at 13k miles, I put in 6 quarts of Mobil 1 5W/30 and AC Delco oil filter, oil level at 1/8" over the top mark on the dipstick. Normal.

Now I started monitoring oil usage. It's been the same after 1000 miles. So far so good.
  4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

1/2 a quart will not hurt anything. One time I did not have time for an oil change before a long trip, I went to the corner oil change place (first and last time), they overfilled it by 2 quarts. I realized this after it started leaking out of the rear main. I drained out the extra oil and it never leaked again and I learned a valuable lesson.
  5. billnorman

billnorman Rockstar 100 Posts

If they overfill it and it uses oil, the chances of you complaining about your "low oil" light coming on are lessened. Smart dealer.