1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

High Pitched chirp/squeek in 2000 Sierra

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by mledford0005, May 5, 2010.

1. mledford0005

mledford0005 New Member

I have a 2000 4x4 ext cab GMC sierra and it has some kind of high pitched chirp/squeeking sound coming from what i believe is the drive train somewhere. I have sprayed all the u-joints with WD40 and still chirps. The sound seems to coincide with the rotation and speed. At first it was hit and miss and now it is a constant thing. The drive shaft that goes from the transfer case to the differential can be turned by hand about 1/4 to 1/2 and inch, is this normal? I have not yet checked the differential fluid either. Any ideas of what it may be?
  2. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 New Member

U-Joints are sealed so wd40 wont help..
  3. mledford0005

mledford0005 New Member

ok. well should the drive shaft from the transfer case to the fron differential turn by hand at all?
  4. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

Yes.. That is normal. i dont remeber the exact specs but yours sounds a bit tighter than most. As for the chirping i would really lean twards bad U-joints. The noise you are describing sounds exactly like them.
  5. Loggerhead Mike

Loggerhead Mike New Member

yes, you are feeling the backlash in the gears.

take your rear prop shaft out and see if the ujoints turn smoothly in all directions. more than likely you've got a shot joint