High pitched whining from engine compartment?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by damn_dragons, Jul 2, 2012.

1. damn_dragons

damn_dragons New Member

I encountered a very loud and high pitch whining the other day from the engine compartment. I have a 93 C1500, 4.3L, ac, 203k miles. It begins when the engine is warmed up usually about 5-10 miles of driving. It does not occur when I am accelerating, only when I let off the gas or at idle. I have eliminated some possibilities, I removed the serpentine and started it up, still there, I used soapy water to check the hoses and from what I could tell, no leaks, saw no bubbling around the tbi or brake power booster. It sounds similar to a very loud tea kettle now that I think of it. I am at a loss, please help if you can. I need my baby for work.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  2. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Not gonna find it with soap looking for bubbles as it will most certainly be a vacume leak. Recheck all your vacume hoses and fittings and any caps on ports not used. You might try a carb cleaning product and spray around the throttle body and intake and hoses and listen for a change in engine speed to narrow your search to a particular area.

3. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Check the coolant level in the radiator, maybe the boiling kettle sound really is boiling water.

4. Dana W

Dana W Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Power steering pump. Either low fluid, or pump shaft bearing going bad. Had one do that once. Sounded like a supercharger after it got hot.

5. damn_dragons

damn_dragons New Member

Thanks folks, seems to be the gasket between the throttle body and the intake? I am going try some gasket sealer for the moment until I can get a replacement gasket. I'll let you know how it turns out.

6. damn_dragons

damn_dragons New Member

Yes it was the gasket, when I pulled off the throttle body, about 1/4 of the gasket was deteriorated. Replaced it and all is fine. I do thank you for your replies and comments. Now for the rest of the truck!