1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

High pitched whining from engine compartment?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by damn_dragons, Jul 2, 2012.

1. damn_dragons

damn_dragons New Member

I encountered a very loud and high pitch whining the other day from the engine compartment. I have a 93 C1500, 4.3L, ac, 203k miles. It begins when the engine is warmed up usually about 5-10 miles of driving. It does not occur when I am accelerating, only when I let off the gas or at idle. I have eliminated some possibilities, I removed the serpentine and started it up, still there, I used soapy water to check the hoses and from what I could tell, no leaks, saw no bubbling around the tbi or brake power booster. It sounds similar to a very loud tea kettle now that I think of it. I am at a loss, please help if you can. I need my baby for work.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  2. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Not gonna find it with soap looking for bubbles as it will most certainly be a vacume leak. Recheck all your vacume hoses and fittings and any caps on ports not used. You might try a carb cleaning product and spray around the throttle body and intake and hoses and listen for a change in engine speed to narrow your search to a particular area.

3. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Check the coolant level in the radiator, maybe the boiling kettle sound really is boiling water.

4. Dana W

Dana W Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Power steering pump. Either low fluid, or pump shaft bearing going bad. Had one do that once. Sounded like a supercharger after it got hot.

5. damn_dragons

damn_dragons New Member

Thanks folks, seems to be the gasket between the throttle body and the intake? I am going try some gasket sealer for the moment until I can get a replacement gasket. I'll let you know how it turns out.

6. damn_dragons

damn_dragons New Member

Yes it was the gasket, when I pulled off the throttle body, about 1/4 of the gasket was deteriorated. Replaced it and all is fine. I do thank you for your replies and comments. Now for the rest of the truck!