Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

High stall converter VS gear change

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by dpeter, Aug 2, 2011.

1. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Looking for better acceleration from stopped or low speed for towing or just being heavily loaded. It occurs to me I could just change the torque converter to a higher stall speed and get the engine into it's power band quicker and still have the bennifits of a road gear with lock up and over drive still intact. I suppose around town driving might not be as good but I don't know. I have not seen this suggested or discussed as an alternative to lowering the gear ratio for improved low end acceleration and am looking for the pros and cons of doing this.
    What are your thoughts?

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I would go with the torque converter. I like YankConverters.

3. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Yep it will work & you won't really need to worry about driving around town as long as you're not throttling it heavy. If you accelerate easy it will engage at lower RPMs around town. It's only when you mat the gas that it freewinds to the stall speed & then hooks. B & M & TCI also make good convertors

4. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Those were some of my thoughts also and maybe even a better choice than a gear change in most cases. May post this question in a transmision forum to see what comments I get.