1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

High temp and oil pressure

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by i_build, Jun 27, 2009.

Random Gallery Photos

1. i_build

i_build New Member

My oil pressure had been at about 17psi (per the dash gauge) and lately it seems to pop down to 3 to 5psi abruptly at idle and the check guages light illuminates. I drive to the next light and it may or may not drop that low again. The temprature is consistently 165 degrees even at 95 degree temps outside. The engine runs smooth no ticking or knocking. Can I assume that since the temprature is not climbing, there is no audible signs of a problem, and the pressure gauge does not remain consistently low at idle that the issue is most likely in the guage, wiring, or sensor OR could this actually be a low oil pressure issue.
  2. L0sts0ul

L0sts0ul New Member 100 Posts

here come the stupid questions.

Whats your oil level like?

what weight oil?

how many miles on the motor?

etc please
  3. i_build

i_build New Member

oil level is fine

5w 30

136k miles

if the only way to be sure is by hooking up a mechanical gauge i will do so... just thought someone might say that if i were actually sitting at that low pressure it would have shown via the temp or sound... but if that cant be used to confirm then i will do the mechanical gauge test tomorrow.
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  4. L0sts0ul

how long since last oil change? and have you actually dropped your oil pan ever?

check for metal filings and such.

I had a similar problem in my burb and I ended up having to rebuild the motor ( not to say you will have to ) but the main bearings and rings were so worn that once the motor got up to N.O.T it couldn't hold pressure... you could try a heavier oil if your motor will allow for it..
  5. i_build

i_build New Member

So your temps never climbed? Did it seize on you?

I put about 2000 miles on it since the change.

I have not dropped the oil pan.
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  6. L0sts0ul

didn't seize, and the temp stayed bout the same
  7. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I would believe your assumptions are correct. Remove the sending unit and install a pressure gauge. This is the only way to know for sure what your real oil pressure is doing. You can borrow one from Auto Zone for free.