1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

History of the Suburban

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by unplugged, Jul 10, 2009.

1. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts

GM's Suburban has been around since 1935. In light of the current economy and the administration's bent for eco-friendly cars, let's hope GM will be able to continue production.

Most don't know that Plymouth produced a "Suburban" begining in 1949.

Here are a couple of great sites that recount the history of the Suburban:

1. Wikipedia
    2. Old Burb Club
  2. dbassam

dbassam New Member

I doubt it

unfortunately the future seems to be in the direction of "no big gasoline engines". As an owner of a brand new one i also hope the suburban sticks around as well. I bought one with the upgraded 6.0L V8. Before too long you may never see one again.
  3. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts

I tow a boat, some jet skis, and an occasional piece of rental equipment like a bobcat. How are you supposed to tow your boat to the lake with one of those greeny vehicles they want us to buy? Big Blocks Rule!
  4. Knucklehead

Knucklehead New Member

It would be unfortunate if they were to stop making Suburbans , but then everyone could buy older ones and restore them!
    That is interesting , i had no idea plymouth once produced suburbans.
  5. dbassam

dbassam New Member

dont ask questions

You will not be able to tow anything. You will need to call a government certified company to do that for you. It's called "progress". Now sit back down and eat your jello.
  6. AmericanMade

AmericanMade New Member

I can vouche for this as its the case in Europe. You see cars towing everything and minivans used for work trucks. You can't buy an SUV or pickup unless you buy it from an american that brought it over, and then its a pain in the @#$. Nothing like seeing a VW towing a pop up camper for a weekend. Crazy!
  7. tigersdl65

tigersdl65 New Member

Tha ts what I've been saying for a while is that no one will be able to tow anything. I say we get together and hide as many trucks and suvs as we can just in case. But seriously what would we do without trucks, I couldn't haul hay and feed and cows/horses any more so I would have to find a new job.
  8. cao88c

cao88c New Member

Too bad this cars for clunkers program is going to screw us in the end when it comes to parts for our trucks. I wish I had the money/space to tell everyone that was going to trade their trucks/SUV's for the $4500 Obongo check, that I would give them $5000 for their truck/SUV, and I'll just hoard them.
  9. BurtsBurb

BurtsBurb New Member

Co-sign!

Seriously, the market for used Suburbans and other V-8 vehicles will likely grow stronger when The One & Company outlaw them. They want us to drive like Europeans, but they have no clue that some of us don't live like Europeans, nor do we wish to. Also please take note that the government elites are all driven around in large vehicles, and many of them fly in government provided jets. Their carbon footprints make all of us look like third-worlders.

Contact your Senators and Representatives and tell them if they vote Yes for Cap & Trade you'll be voting for their opponent.
  10. TUTONE

TUTONE New Member

I don't think we'll ever see our most illustrious, wonderful, grand paotentate, supreme executive leader, (might as well get used to calling him this now so you don't get arrested for not referring to him as such in the future) commander in chief, Mr. President Barack Obama toting his family around in a "SMART CAR". Yet he/they (congress as well) want(s) everyone else to do so. Oh yeah, sure, he's a real MAN OF THE PEOPLE. I've got a bigger family than he doe's and they can't all fit into my Hyundai. Gentlemen, I belive a revolution is in order!:sleep: "Wake up America!" ---Earl Pitts