Hit a Bump & Stall .....

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by THECHIN29, Feb 2, 2008.

1. THECHIN29

THECHIN29 New Member

Driving under normal conditions and the truck just stalled out. I pull over and it starts right up. NO PROBLEM Right??? Just start driving again, and I realize its going to stall after hitting a bump. Sometimes it stalls all together, sometimes it stumbles and then regains itself. Do I go buy $5.00 worth of gas and get a match??? This is killing me.

2. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

its prob something with your distributor.... check all connections with your wires to your distributer make sure the connections are clean and dry.... also check the wires going to your coil.... clean you battery terminals too it cant hurt.... you may also have a broken vacuum line it happened to me once and it was messing up my idle like crazy and i kept stalling too

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

You've got a short. No easy way to find it. You'll need to poke around under the hood while the trucks running and find what makes it shut down.

4. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

plus these days $5.00 won't buy enough gas to burn a truck.

5. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Year, engine, etc. might help suggest specific diagnostic steps. Unless it's old fashioned carb without any computer control, you might try pulling codes from the PCM to see if the computer has any information.

6. THECHIN29

THECHIN29 New Member

Its a 97 Thoe Sport 2DR 4x4 with a 5.7 125.000 Mi . I just changed the distributor cap two weeks ago.. Im gonna go over the wires to make sure everything is tight.The engine light is not comming on. At a standstill the engine runs awesome, and when its driving (the last two weeks since the cap change) the power is great. I really cant go for a new truck right now and I am NOT gonna sell any of my toys. I know I cna get decent money for it, the body is in awesome condition.. Gotta figure this out. Thanks in advance

7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Go over the area around the cap, if it started doing this after the cap change you might have knocked a wire or connector loose.

8. THECHIN29

THECHIN29 New Member

Any chance of a problem with the fuel pressure regulator being the my issue??? I took a look and saw where the lines go in on top of the intake is a little wet with fuel. Its not pouring out but it is a bit wet with fresh fuel. Gonna change it regardless of it being my current problem. Questions, Comments, Moral Support anyone??

9. ahabofthepequod

ahabofthepequod New Member

I realize that I'm comparing apples to oranges but,....

For work I drive a Dodge van while driving on the freeway I bumped the key with my knee and the engine died.

I restartewd it and found that just jiggling the key was enough to shut the engine off.

It seems there is a loose connection that causes it.

I know that there are a lot of suggestions but I recommend trying the cheapest ones first.

10. homer911

homer911 Rockstar 100 Posts

check the ground wire to the frame for the fuel pump.. mine broke one time and killed the truck. thought it was the pump but it wasnt... good luck