Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Hitch receiver to high for trailer-2010 Silverado 4x4 with 20 inch wheels

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by hall1836, Jun 20, 2010.

1. hall1836

hall1836 New Member

I plan on towing a motorcycle on an open aluminum trailer, weights not a problem, less than 2000 lbs total. The trailer spec's 14.5 inches to top of the ball, I have a 2" drop receiver and the top of the ball is 19 inches. What are my options, trailer only appears to be a little up front from level. If I go to a 3 1/2" drop receiver will the 1.5 inch make any difference (ball will be 17.5 inch to the top of the ball). With the light trailer and light total weight can I tow with the front up? Trailer with tongue is only 11 Ft, and theres 12" of clearance between the deck and the ground at the rear with the 2.5" drop.

2. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

This is what I got for my Silverado. I pull a 16' that I need to raise and a 5x8 that nees to be lower.

[​IMG]

3. hall1836

hall1836 New Member

How much does each hole adjustment drop the ball, 2"? I've seen that set up and wondered how much stress is on the upright when it's at the the lowest setting.

4. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Ok here is the issue, that i know. They reccomend that you tow the trailer at a certain level so it wont sway or change the how the angle of the suspension so the trailer rides properly.. I have also seen 4" and 5" drop hitches as well that will work. As for load on that style of hitch is is only designed for the Max Weight that is listed. I have seen some that were good to go up to 10K lbs, and 1K Lb tounge wt...

5. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Each hole is about 2". It will lower as low as 8" and I guess the raise is about the same. I have pulled my X540 on my tandem 16' with a '08 Tahoe and it handled it fine. It is not the most expensive hitch, but has done me well.

6. bossman1364

bossman1364 New Member

X2. I have the same one and it's great. I have a 6 inch Fabtech lift and 35 inch AT and it works great.