GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hitch Wiring Receptacle on '07 Silverado Classic

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by rmallory, Oct 5, 2012.

1. rmallory

rmallory New Member

Okay, so I bought the GM hitch package for my Silverado and I have a question. On the instructions, it basically just says to remove the bumper plug and replace it with the included Wiring Receptacle. But it doesn't say how. I've tried turning it to the left and right and I can get about a quarter turn.

I am presuming the black cover next to the license plate is where it goes. So how in the world does the old one come out?

Thanks for your help!

[​IMG]
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

Are you talking about the black plastic piece to the right of the plate? If so, that's used to lower your spare tire. The NBS trucks (which is what the 07 classic, is) don't have the hitch plug in the bumper like the NNBS trucks do.

My truck has the Z82 towing package. Check the hitch location in this photo, as I believe it's the OEM location in NBS trucks -- at least it is for mine. :)
    [​IMG]
  3. rmallory

rmallory New Member

You know what, I knew that. Where's my brain. Thanks for the help - I really appreciate it.
  4. rmallory

rmallory New Member

Okay, so can you tell if it is in a mounting bracket? I'm looking at the receptacle and there doesn't appear to be any way to mount it without some kind of bracket or something. The only thing that came with the hitch package was the receptacle.
  5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

There is a bracket. It's welded on. It has a hole through it. Take a look at your receptacle and see if it's two pieces. One piece should be the part that the trailer connector plugs into. The other piece is the part that mates to the first and has the wiring that leads to your truck.

On my truck these two pieces are mated together via the hole in the bracket ... and lock into place against one another (sandwiching the bracket hole). I can't quite remember how they lock together because it's been a few months since I had them apart, but I seem to recall a twist being part of it.

I've actually considered cutting a hole in the bumper to the left of the plate to match that used by the bracket ... and mating the two pieces there, through the bumper much like the NNBS trucks do. Next I'd cut off the bracket. It'd be a simple enough mod and look a bit cleaner at the back end of the truck. Sadly I've taken no measurements, it's just been a loose thought in my head that I didn't act on because I also have a backup cam mounted there and I'd have to find a way to redo the custom bracket I made for it, too.

Perhaps take a similar route, yourself, and make the hole ... if what you have works in similar fashion?
  6. rmallory

rmallory New Member

I am coming to the distinct conclusion that they sent me the hitch for the new body style and not the classic. After doing some research, I notice that there is a bracket welded onto the other one.

I almost wish they had just stopped making the old body style in '06. Keeping the '07 Silverado parts separate from the '07 Classic parts is a nightmare.
  7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

I'd call and double-check because the interface to the truck might be different between the styles. If they sent you the wrong one then you should at least be able to return it at their cost and get the correct one...
  8. FrigginNoodles

FrigginNoodles Member

I totally agree with you there. I usually just order the parts for 03-06 for mine. Would be so much simpler if they didn't split the year with different styles.