Hole in bottom of transmission???

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by rwdelling, Dec 10, 2012.

1. rwdelling

rwdelling New Member

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

That is a inspection plate. You can pull the entire plate down and you will expose the flywheel and torque converter. The "Gear" that you are seeing is the ring gear on the flywheel. What you are seeing is normal and does bot need a plug.

3. rwdelling

rwdelling New Member

Thanks for the info. I still find it hard to believe that there is an engineered hole in the bottom. I am in upstate NY where there is salt/snow/grime 6 months out of the year. Seems strange that that stuff can just get in there like that.

4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

As far back as I can remember that hole has been there. I remember pulling the trans in my dad's 1985 buick station wagon when I was 14 years old. That hole was there. I live in Michigan and we have similar weather conditions. From the multiple GM transmissions I pulled, I can't say that there was an abundance of crap in there. Mostly traces of oil or trans fluid from a leak above.

5. rwdelling

rwdelling New Member

Thanks again for the info. I first noticed the hole because I raised up the back end of the truck on ramps to better get at the rear differential and when I did, I nticed old engine oil dripping down from the hole. That's how I noticed the hole. As long as its ok, I'm fine with it.

6. langss

langss New Member

Its a Drain Hole. Its sole purpose is to prevent the accumulation of any kind of liquid ie water,oil,transmission fluid.Its normal

7. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

If oil is dripping out of there your rear main seal could be bad. Keep an eye on how much is dripping out of there because it will only get worse. But you may go a long time before it leaks real bad.

8. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

If I were you I would keep an eye on oil level. if to drops a lot your rear main may be failing. Its a job that is in the end all cheaper if you buy the parts and then bring the truck to a good shop. (this is from experience) Is the area between the engine and tranny filthy with oil and sludge?