1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Home Defense Suggestions

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoors' started by Als09Sierra, May 19, 2012.

1. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Active Member 1000 Posts

Wondering what others use to defend their home. Unfortunately, the wife is really fighting me on getting a shotgun for the home. She did say that she'd be more comfortable with a handgun, which takes 6 months for a permit, but I also feel that a shotgun would be fun at the range, and provide more oomph protection. Let me know if you have any suggestions for convincing the wife too.
  2. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member 1000 Posts

I have 2 dogs for early warning and a sig 9mm. My wife hates guns and doesn't like the idea of having them in the house. So the 9mm is easy to keep out of view of her but packs enough of a punch to get the job done.
  3. Psyc0

Psyc0 New Member

Ithaca model 66 single shot (won't screw up while half-asleep) 12 gauge with 3" magnums of 00 buck, backed up by S&W 686 4" 357 magnum. :glasses:
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I've use to keep various shotguns, rifles, and handguns easily accessable for home defence, but since we have a curious grandaughter running around the house the last few years those have all been locked away in a gun safe where they wont do us any good in an emergency.
    So I rely on a PR-24 Monanondock nightstick that I keeped tucked away next to my headboard to assist me, lethal but only leaves the grandaughter with bumps and bruises if she finds it and messes with it.
    A shotgun loaded with buckshot is normally considered the best option, depending on the load it wont blow through a wall and hurt someone your trying to protect on the otherside, in the middle of the night when your half asleep and the sxxt storm is happening you wont have a clear picture of where everyone is.
    Bullets have a bad habit of missing soft targets they were meant for then flying through walls and finding soft targets they werent meant for.
  5. Als09Sierra

I have a choc lab for early detection, and may go the handgun route since the wife feels the same way. I prefer to also have a 12ga too to buy more time and prevent going through walls, but I'm not getting anywhere with her on that point. How did you get your wife comfortable with the 9mm?

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 PM ----------

Sounds good. My. Only concern with a 357 is the penetration factor and that my daughterr's room is across the hallway from my side of the bed. Not a good backdrop.

---------- Post added at 01:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

Some of the better safes allow for quick retrieval of a weapon, and I considered setting all but the last digit of the combo so I could quickly get to a long gun. I may also go the revolver route. Easy to store, and no fumbling with magazines in the middle of the night. I like the handgun safes that fit in the nightstand, but that I could put in the long gun safe during the day. I also have my 34 ounce aluminum bat, which will be very little use against a gun, but is better than a pillow.
  6. Jaele

Jaele Member

You may want to look into the Glaser safety slug, its frangible ammo. they are suppose to break up on anything denser then the jacket. just do shoot then in the skull or you may have to fire a few more time.. and have a little mess to clean up after wards.

I personally will only use 180grain hollow points made by federal for home defence
  7. HFD525

HFD525 New Member

I have a German Shepherd inside for early detection, and have a 9mm and a 12 gauge in reach of my bed.
  8. Psyc0

Psyc0 New Member

Years ago when I used to pick up double 18 wheeler trailers at the rail-yard, the Rail Police Lt demonstrated the correct way to use a nightstick, or similar.
    Don't hit or swing the stick, instead, poke the attacker in the center of the breast-bone, just as hard & fast as You can.
    That generally brings them to their knees, and most of all, it helps to maintain distance between You and the attacker.
  9. Als09Sierra

Shotgun slug? I will definitely check it out. Hopefully I get my handgun license soon. The guy at the shop said hollow pts too. I thought those were for shooting through Kevlar though.

---------- Post added at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

Thats good to know, and would probably work for a bat too, especially since I won't be standing at the plate with the bat on my shoulder when the s**t hits the fan.
  10. kw70chevy

kw70chevy New Member

i have a pit bull in the back and one in the house for early detection a 12 ga loaded by my gun case and a 44 mag on top.