1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Home Defense Suggestions

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoors' started by Als09Sierra, May 19, 2012.

1. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

At college I always keep my assisted openers around, but at home I keep a loaded .410 in the corner. Try looking into a .410/.45 judge, great handgun if you ask me.
  2. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

David,

That's good advice, thanks. I'll keep at it. I have a plastic bb hand gun for shooting at the birds that dive bomb my dog in the Spring. I'll have to see if she'll shoot it. I also just setup to record the Doomsday shows on NGC, and the show on the Mayan calendar predictions. I doubt she'll watch them, but we'll see.

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 PM ----------

I don't want to know how you found out, but I can only imagine how much that hurt. :lol: That sounds like a good idea. My only concern would be where to keep it. Too big for the end table, and I couldn't leave it out because of my daughter. The fully auto guns could do some serious damage though.

---------- Post added at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 PM ----------

That Taurus Judge looks like a great option. The wife probably won't be open to a long gun, so the ability to put the .410 shells in there would be perfect. I only wish it held more than 5 shots, but it's better than what I have now. If I get her comfortable with handguns, I could possibly get a Judge and one other that holds more rounds of 22 or 9mm.
  3. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

take her to a range that will let you rent guns, show her how shooting really is. might help.

Alex
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

This thread is a perfect example of why I don't even bother with women who don't like firearms -- ESPECIALLY those who don't know anything about them or have never tried them. There's a term for forming unfavorable opinions prior to having any experience with them ... and I believe it is: prejudice.

Surreal

P.S. Here's an image for you. :)
    577991_332846330119635_204152432989026_847837_645292614_n.jpg
    Last edited: May 22, 2012
  5. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

DAMMMMNNNN

can i meet her?

lol

Alex
  6. Als09Sierra

Prejudice might be a bit strong. It's more fear than anything. She has never been introduced to firearms, and hears lots of bs about people getting shot with their own firearms. She's also concerned about the possibility of our daughter getting hurt. I don't blame her there. That's my main concern, and would override any desire to own and have a gun in the house. Thanks for the pic. :)
  7. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

women and firearms ugh... I taught my ex how to shoot with a .22 rifle. When I asked her to let me see the rifle she replied no. When i asked again she POINTS THE LOADED RIFLE AT ME! after i yelled put the gun down, she does but replies the safety was on. ...and people wonder how accidents happen.
  8. lancer

lancer Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

i've got an h & r pardner 12 guage and a smith wesson 9mm sigma for backup. if those don't work my ar-15 .223 is sitting in the closet!!
  9. Als09Sierra

I'm pretty close to convincing the wife. One question. What do you guys use to store a shotgun? I like the shot lok, but the wife wants something to hold it in, more like a safe or case we can lock. There's one case that's made for under the bed and is more like a safe. Anyone use something like that?
  10. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

My home defense shotty hangs from a peg in the closet. The closet has a programmable keypad on it so that I can access it quickly ... yet still secure what's behind it from unauthorized access. My CCW pistol is usually loose in the house, with me ... and rarely more than 5' from me. If I had kids then the pistol would be in a biometric or keypad quicksafe bolted to the night stand. This pistol is, after all, a tool used to protect yourself and family while getting the long gun from the closet. :)