Home Defense Suggestions

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoors' started by Als09Sierra, May 19, 2012.

1. Salesguy1980

Salesguy1980 Rockstar 100 Posts

On your way to the Summer Meet in Ma, Maybe make time before or after to stop at Cabelas in East Hartford, Ct, Its right on your way and they have an impressive selection of all kinds of guns and saves. One of my favorite local hangouts lol

2. TexasTechRaider

TexasTechRaider Member 2 Years 500 Posts

The gun safe is this one, I used part of my income tax on this as it's pretty pricy..

http://www.gunsafes.com/Browning-SP23-Sporter-Series-9-18-Gun-Safe.html

except the one I have has the electronic glass dial. If you look at the pictures you can fit so much!

The other safe I have in the house is this one: IT'S ON SALE!

http://www.lackasafe.com/products/gun-safes/small-handgun-safes/strong-box-personal-safe-ps-520

It's pretty cheap but serves it purpose, I had everyone gather a vacuum seal able bag and load some clothes in it and every ones fit along with everything else from keys, passports, etc.. I'm actually thinking about purchasing a wall safe to keep some extra belonging in (Birth certificates, you know things like that). Vivint isn't the cheapest rout but I honestly believe it's the best for your money even if you go with the lower package.

A safe room is a neat idea for sure, are you looking to have one built or turn a spare room into one? I have two extra bedrooms that are not in use and would be interested to see how that turns out. As far as an escape plan, it's a neat idea but I just told everyone grab a gun( everyone is trained since we have a farm as well) and use it no matter what. Of course I don't expect anyone to use it but I think it would scare anyone away. Plus we have the law that every man has the right to protect his land in Texas and legally you can shoot anyone on your property if you feel they are a threat.

p.s. sorry if some of the spelling is bad, did this on my iPhone while laying down and sometimes this phone has a mind of its own lol!

3. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I might do that since there are non near me. Then again, maybe I'll wait to stop in on the way home. :)

4. Als09Sierra

Thanks. I like that safe and it's a good price. I need one for my closet, but can use this for a pistol and a BOB. I don't think we'll go the the extent of a real safe room, but we might develop an escape plan and a room to use as security for the family in an emergency. My closet has an attic ladder, and we considered stocking supplies in my closet and using the attic as a last stand. With a pry bar and hammer, you could get out of the house safely, but there are too many walls in the closet to make it bullet-proof. It would be defendable though from the attic ladder looking into the closet, especially with a 12 gauge. I may try to convince the wife to learn on a pistol as well so that she can also defend herself and the kids. Then again, I don't want her to start shooting at me. :)

5. 06 DuRaMaX

06 DuRaMaX New Member

guns wont do u any good if u dont have an early warning system of an intruder......dogs are the best warning system...lol....some guy decided to enter my house while i was sleeping....as soon as he went in through the window my 2 german sheperds tore him up...lol...used him as a chew toy...lol...didnt need a gun...haha

6. Als09Sierra

My chocolate lab might lick an intruder enough to make them want to leave. He actually is a very good guard dog, and what has kept my wife from insisting on an alarm so far. 2 german shephards will do though. Great dogs and very smart.

7. 06 DuRaMaX

06 DuRaMaX New Member

lol....well atleast u have ur lab to wake u up incase someone is lookin for trouble...lol...if your lucky he might lick him to death...haha....and yea my 2 dogs are so smart both dogs grabed the guy by the arms and didnt let go...lol i was calling the cops while my brother and the dogs held the guy down...haha...well good luck on geting that shotgun...

8. TexasTechRaider

TexasTechRaider Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Yeah I have a black lab and they are so affectionate, if you stop petting her she'll look at you them move her head right under your hand if it's in reach.. I would get a security system seems like the next best thing that you could do besides the safe, always need a safe. LOL I don't know what you would have to do in order for your wife to shoot you.. must have forgotten to take out the trash too many times! :lol:

9. 06 DuRaMaX

06 DuRaMaX New Member

LOL....:sign0020:...GOOD ONE

10. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

My Black Lab will bark at anyone but she doesn't bite, she just barks really loud :lol:

I'm not a light sleeper but if someone opens even my front door, my cat will poke his head up and get down and his collar will make enough noise. I have slept through my dog barking before but when my cat gets up, somethings wrong :lol:

IF someone I don't know/like is in my house, they will meet the boom boom end of a 20 gauge and a .40 S&W and I can assure you they will not enjoy it.