Home for vacation from the Middle East! HELP!

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by tampabud, Dec 10, 2008.

1. tampabud

tampabud New Member

Nice attention grabber title I know...

I am serving as a ********** in ************ but fortunately get to come home for christmas to spend time with the wife and kids...

About six months ago, my wife was driving our '04 Suburban LS 2WD on the highway at about 60 MPH... she threw it into reverse by "accident" and the tranny grinded the Burb to a halt on the shoulder and the motor cut out. 5 minutes later she was able to start the thing up and continue driving. Since then she has towed our trailer with it, driven all up and down the west coast, and the only problems she describes are the fact the tranny down-shifts or changes gears too much, even at a constant speed... and the speedo bounces all over the place as a result of what happened six months ago.

My questions are as follows: Is there an easy fix to the tranny issue? Probably not... What about the speedo? Is there a speed sensor on the tranny casing that could have been damaged? Can I maybe just swap out the cluster for another one? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!!

2. nvetro

nvetro New Member

Is she towing with tow/haul mode on (the botton on the shifter)? That keeps the trans from entering overdrive and looking for the right gear and back and forth. May wanna try that.

3. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I would check into the reverse at highway speed, I dont know for sure but dont think that there is a direct cable to the tranny like there used to be so the computer should have shut it down in a safe mode to not destroy the tranny, iwould think that if it actually was in reverse she would have dropped the tranny right there on the highway or at the least it wouldnt be drivable so maybe there is a reset of some kind, try disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes otherwise maybe have to start the old google search going

4. JMoney02

JMoney02 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Right on, she would have dropped that right on the spot. The cluster is now electronic from the tranny, she may have cause the VSS issues. The Tow/Haul mode should be used, like it was posted make sure she is using it, a great benefit. The cluster for your year(04) was under recall, you can take it to your local dealer and explain the erratic behavior with it, just leave out the part about the transmission, not trying to cover anything up, it may not be related to the problem, seperate issue. 2003-2004 clusters had a Law Suit and recalls, it was for 7yrs/70k miles, so check it out, they may replace at their cost.
    Welcome Home, Thanks for all you do so we can do this.........

Jeff

5. JMoney02

TAMPABUD - Is this refering to Tampa FLorida? If so, where at, if I may ask.....

Jeff

6. tampabud

tampabud New Member

I graduated high school from Tampa, Florida... Robinson High School to be exact, SoG or South of Gandy as we're referred to by the curious few. I haven't lived in Tampa since joining the military in '97 though. I was home a year ago, my how that place has changed!

7. JMoney02

Know Robinson High very well. I do some part time work for a company who demo's and installs all the chillers and boilers for commercial buildings, so I did a job there 5 years ago and in just that short time
    it has changed. You should see the road mess now, but will improve the area greatly. A co-worker of mine lives over there in So. Tampa.......... Been here 10 years now and Not leaving....