Home Renovations

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by tbplus10, Dec 13, 2009.

1. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The wife told me in October her mother and aunt were coming to stay for 2 weeks over Christmas and she had renovations she wanted done, the guest bath and guest bedroom upstairs both needed work.
    The before pics are on my old computer getting worked on so you cant compare but trust me after 5 years of being used as storage they looked pretty rough.

The Bedroom was easy a coat of paint, new shelves on either side of the window, new carpet, new furniture, and the wife applied her hand by freehand painting a couple of trees.
    Later I'll finish it off with a new light/fan fixture.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tbplus10

The bathroom was a project I started last year, when my 25yr old daughter moved back home I quit working on it not wanting her to get to comfortable lest she forget she needs her own space somewhere else in the world, she recently found that space so I completed the bathroom.
    The bathroom got a new bathtub, tiled shower enclosure, a new tile tub seat, new tile on the floor, new toilet, new lighting, new glass sink bowl with custom made tile counter, waterfall fawcett, crown moulding, and textured/painted walls.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

You did all of that work yourself? That is just beautiful, and I love the bathroom sink I wanted one for my bathroom and my dad didn't trust me that I wouldn't flood the bathroom watching it run all night long. The painting on the walls is perfect, the marbling look on the bathroom walls is very luxurious looking. Your wife did a really nice job with the trees in the bed room, I know first hand how hard it is to paint on a vertical wall. I painted a Finding Nemo scene for somebody at work, it was a 12x12 mural and I charged them $1,500 and trust me it wasn't enough! My neck was sore for weeks! Anyways great job on the remodeling, it sure feels nice when you get it all done doesn't it? :party:

4. tbplus10

Thanks.
    Yep all of it was done by me, right down to welding up and powdercoating a new shower curtain rod.
    In the early 80's out in California before I joined the Navy I was a Licensed Tile Contractor for a couple years.

Yea I'm not to happy that model sink doesnt use an overflow, I've got a 5 year old granddaughter thats mesmerized by it and I see some flooding issues in the future if we dont keep an eye on things.

Have you ever tried airbrushing your paintings?
    This one she didnt airbrush but some of her earlier paintings she did, it's a lot faster and doesnt take as much out of you.
    I bought her a cheap airbrush at Harbor Freight with a compressor, 2 guns and a lot of extras for under $100.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  5. s5belford

s5belford Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

looks great!!! nice work!!!

6. Shorty 71

Shorty 71 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Looks really good:great:

7. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Yeah actually I started off with that airbrush kit from Harbor Freight, and it worked really good for the money. Then I bought an Iwata gravity fed gun, and it was even better but just recently I purchased a Devilbliss airbrush, but I haven't gotten all of the parts for it yet. I still need to get a better compressor for the airbrushing, but honestly I like the precision of hand painting much better.

8. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Nice work, I really enjoy home improvements and believe me my home needs some improvement! I just laid a tile floor in one of my basement rooms and it turned out pretty well. I have big plans for my bathrooms as well. Keep up the great work.:great:

9. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

So, Tim, what are you NOT awesome on. Another awesome looking project! Since I know you have a guest room now, I plan to take lodging in it when I go to get one of those great-condition 80s Suburbans you've alluded to so many times in your neck of the woods. :party: How's mid-march for you? :rofl:

10. tbplus10

I've always got room for guest's, catch me early in the month and we'll go on a Bourbon search, (tail end of March I'll be ridin past you on my way to Key West) oops I meant Suburban.

My dad was a firm believer in doing everything himself, never pay to have something done until you try it yourself first.