Homelink

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by sphillips, Aug 25, 2009.

Random Gallery Photos

1. sphillips

sphillips New Member

My '02 Silverado has the overhead console, but no 3-button Homelink, just the hinge down door that you put your garage door opener in. Bought the same door with 3-button Homelink on Ebay, 30min install opens 2doors and 1 gate-SWEET!
  2. pmf608

pmf608 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

it is a nice feature to have. i bought a homelink mirror out of an infiniti before i bought my overhead console with homelink. now i have 6 buttons that all open my one garage door. :lol:
  3. dsrtne1

dsrtne1 New Member 100 Posts

Is it hard to install the new overhead console? Is there any wiring required?
  4. moosetags

moosetags New Member 100 Posts

I sure wish that I had 6 Homelink buttons. I have 4 garage doors at home, a gate entrance, and my father-in-laws garage door. Even with the OEM Homelink in the Suburbans, I still have to carry three additional remotes around.
  5. pmf608

For me, the console was tricky. i didnt have one befored and they are more difficult to put in a regular cab without it because it doesnt have a double-skinned roof. On a truck like yours it should be a matter of cutting the headliner and wiring power and ground for lights and homelink (if you dont already have) and mounting the console to the existing mount locations. if you already have a standard console, it should mount right in its place, and wire in with the existing wiring.

If you dont happen to have compass/temp/onstar in your rearview mirror, i would suggest installing a homelink mirror by gentex from something like an infiniti g35. it was not difficult. constant 12V, switched 12V, ground, and its wired up. If you have a mirror that is less replaceable than my basic one was, there are other ways to get more homelink. you could get some of the ones that go in the sunvisor. check for homelink on ebay. one thing to remember is that they are all universal. no matter what vehicle they come from, they only need a constant 12v power source and a ground. just look for one that best suits the spaces you have available to work with.
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  6. sphillips

sphillips New Member

Great job pmf608. The Homelink is a handy accessory to have. Know i dont have the remotes on the visor.
  7. dsrtne1

dsrtne1 New Member 100 Posts

I already have an overhead console with lights and all but the Homelink doesn't require any additional wiring?
  8. pmf608

no, there will be no wiring if you already have the one with the lights. they are both powered from the same power wire. should be a pretty simple swap.
  9. pmf608

no, but if you want more homelink, a visor mount homelink unit is an option. while i think it would be a pain to put in a visor, a visor kit could be mounted easily in the headliner above the visor - and its discreet there too. remember, all homelinks work in all vehicles, so just ebay homelink and find one you can make work.

just food for thought for if you want 6 homelink buttons...
  10. sphillips

sphillips New Member

This exactly what I have. The Homelink 3button I purchased on Ebay came without the plastic wire connector, so I had to figure out which of the three contacts was power and whcih was ground. Wired power and ground into power and ground for map lights. No problem.