1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Honda Automatic Transmission Fluid.

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by stchman, Sep 25, 2013.

1. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts

Hello all.

I know this is a GM forum, but I do have a question about a Honda and other forum members have Hondas as well.

My brother is needed to get the automatic transmission fluid changed on his 2003 Honda Accord V6. The dealer quoted him $100 for this service.

IIRC all you do on the Hondas is pull the auto drain plug and fill it back up. Also reading his manual it states that use Honda ATF-Z1 fluid. I called the dealer, and it looks like ATF-Z! has been replaced ATF-DW1 fluid.

My question is, so you really need to use the Honda fluid or can you use the Valvoline Maxlife fluid?

Thanks.
  2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts

its an old honda and probably out of warranty. I know they had some proprietary stuff (power steering fluid etc). I would look on the back of the valvoline bottle as alot of times they will list vehicles manufactures that the fluid is compatible with. Sometimes not though like with the autotrak fluid in our 4x4 trucks.

As far as swapping yes its drain and fill. most likely the amount shown for capacity will include the amount in the torque converter as well so usually a drain and fill is less than capacity. try to measure how much comes out then fill accordingly. Warm it up and then check level to see if you need to add more to it.
  3. CKNSLS

CKNSLS Member

I had an '07 Accord and did all the maintenance myself. I used the Valvoline Maxlife. The only thing I noticed is that the transmission held on to the gears a little longer when cold, not a big deal. In addition, I took out the factory transmission filter under the hood and replaced it with a magnefine. The car ran great with a 113,000 miles when I traded it in.

The transmission service has a drain plug like the oil pan. Just make sure you get a new washer before you change the fluid.
  4. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts

I told my brother to get the Honda ATF DW-1 fluid. It is $15 more for 4 quarts.
  5. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts

Yep sometimes better to use the more expensive stuff. An extra $15 over 50,000 miles ain't much.