1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hood pins on carbon fiber hood

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by j5689, Apr 8, 2009.

1. j5689

j5689 New Member

I'm wondering if you would still need them on a heavier vehicle such as any GM truck because the hood will still be much bigger than that of a sedan or anything else and therefore heavier.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the weight difference between whatever true OEM hoods are made out of(steel or aluminum I'd guess) and CF.

If I get a Suburban, I eventually want to get an OEM shaped CF hood and then paint it to the color of the car, but I REALLY hate the look of hood pins with with a painted hood. It would look especially ridiculous on an SUV hood.
  2. cascott325

cascott325 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

so is there a question there, or are you just rambling thoughts off?
  3. j5689

j5689 New Member

Yes. Is there less of a need for hood pins on a CF hood for an SUV?
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

If the hood doesnt have the factory hood latch then yes you'll need the hood pins if you want it to stay in the down position while driving at faster speeds.
    Most of the air draft that forces the hood up comes from under the front bumper and through the grill/radiator.
  5. Project1

Project1 Rockstar 100 Posts

you could duct tape it down:party:
  6. j5689

j5689 New Member

Hood pins are so unsightly and they definitely take away from the stock look, I wish there was a way to just put them ONLY internally. Or is there?
  7. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

how could you get to them if they were internal?
  8. j5689

j5689 New Member

If they were attached to the latch or something like that. So fugly they are
  9. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  10. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

My experience with carbon fiber and fiber glass hoods is use the pins. There aren't too many out there that are made well enough to completely trust the latch that comes on them (if they come with a latch at all). It's not the weight difference, it's the flexibility of the materials that causes a problem. Trust me, I've had my share of hoods coming up and smashing windshield while on the road.