Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Hood scoop ~ for Silverado - found at Junk Yard

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by dadngt, Jul 17, 2012.

1. dadngt

dadngt Rockstar 100 Posts

I really liked the look with this junk yard find hood scoop on the truck but my problem is that it does not have a wind screen to keep air from blowing in it & blowing it off since its nonfunctional. & also the underside of the scoop is not flat enough to use double sided tape. I do have some emblem adhesive but it does make a mess sometimes. Any suggestions? Othr than waiting for funding for a real ram air hood ;)
    intimidating.JPG scooped.JPG
    scooped2.JPG scooped3.JPG

2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

SCREW IT!!!!!! On that is from the bottom..

3. dadngt

Didn't really want to drill holes in my hood but really that may be the only option that will make this scoop work & not blow off.... again. If I drill holes in the hood I might as well cut an opening also not really for ram air since its not going to the air intake but to keep engine bay cooler & wetter & dirtier lol ok maybe not on cutting the hole

4. Enkeiavalanche

can you post up a pic of the underside of the scoop?

5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would agree with screwing it on from the underside of the hood. I would also avoid cutting a vent in the hood and would, instead, use a CAI with a fender or front fascia scoop if you're hell-bent on trying to get lower temp air into the intake. After all, resonant supercharging effects from ram air and/or cowl induction hoods are only small hp boosts, at best ... and manifest at WOT. This is why it's largely racing vehicles that bother, as it's a small, 'free' boost on a vehicle that sees WOT a lot.

Surreal

P.S. CAI benefits realistically manifest only at WOT, as well. Thus, CAI's end up being largely for under hood looks and under normal driving conditions only impact how the vehicle sounds. Put another way, a CAI is a crappy investment and should probably only be bought for looks/sound unless you're at WOT a lot. :)

6. dadngt

You know that probably would have helped out in getting suggestions.
    scoopdetail.JPG scoopscreenmount.JPG scoopunder.JPG
    One thing I can think of is sanding / cutting the edge of the scoop level with that tab as shown in first picture. But wouldn't have to worry about that if I go with the bolt on idea. So tell me more about that bolt on plan Like how to align everything what would be the best way to do it? The grille screen would not be hard to mount since the scoop has a place to mount one just finding something to use for it. It did have the big honeycomb plastic piece that wasn't not open.

Surrealone I used to be blinded about the CAI til about last year when I found out what you had mentioned. So these days I've scrapped about any idea for the air intake except I should get a good quality filter. & I doubt this little 4.8 would gain a whole lot.

7. Enkeiavalanche

You can mount some thin wood Slats on the inside of the scoop and screw up into that..

8. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Finally, someone with the same opinion as mine.

9. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Actually it's a bit more than opinion. I did a data log of air temps with my Diablosport Predator using first my Outlaw CAI (which is no longer made, btw) and then the stock air box. What was the delta? Roughly ~3 degrees F (to the nearest degree, on average). How much difference does ~3 degrees F make during normal driving? Not enough for a human to notice. How much difference does ~3 degrees F make while at WOT and the engine is gulping as much air as it can consume (and, thus, the slightly increased air density might matter)? Enough for a computer to measure a slight HP increase but still not enough for a human to realistically notice...

:neutral:

10. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I'm surprised it was even 3 degrees. The air comes in through the same hole in the front of the truck.

There is probably a noticeable improvement with an old truck/car that used the round filter can on the top of the carb.