Hooker Maxflow Mufflers

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by c_m_chance, Apr 18, 2010.

1. c_m_chance

c_m_chance Rockstar 100 Posts

So has anyone ever had this muffler on their truck? I've been doing some research about the best flowing muffler, and I have found some pretty concrete data saying that this Maximum Flow muffler by Hooker is pretty damn good. I'm just curious if anyone has installed it and if they can vouch for it. I'm also curious about it's sound. I can only find a few video clips online, but they are all on cars. So I'm curious what it sounds like on a truck.

Also, some more help that I'm curious about. I'm gonna be doing exhaust on my truck soon. Gonna leave the stock cats, but cut the single muffler loose and install two mufflers to make it a true dual. What I'm curious is what the general consensus is for installing an X-pipe between the two cats and the two mufflers. Is it definitely recommended, or hit and miss as far as results go?

2. c_m_chance

Ok, so I started thinking about the idea of the x-pipe. I was originally going to put it after the cats and before the mufflers. However, I started thinking about this and I don't think that a crossover pipe after the cats will do much help. The cats will be slowing down the flow anyway, so the x-pipe wont help out to much after them. However, before the cats the x-pipe will increase flow and ballance out the exhaust coming out of both sides of the engine. So I realize that if I'm going to do an x-pipe, I should have it installed before the cats.

So I don't really need input on that question anymore. However, I'm still looking for some people that might have some good input on the Hooker Maximum Flow mufflers. I'm really starting to lean more towards them.

3. c_m_chance

Ok, so I was checking some more things out just now. I was looking at how the cats and the O2 sensors are situated and that makes it pretty damn tough wo put in an x-pipe without A) relocating the cats and B) relocating the oxygen sensors. So I've decided to pass on the x-pipe for now.

So now, I'm down to just cutting out the stock muffler and replacing it with two mufflers and making it a true dual. I talked with a guy at a shop around here and he said he can do the labor for about $160 after tax. So I just have to get the mufflers I want, take em to him, and then he'll install. Not to bad of a deal in my opinion.

But now I have a new question haha. It appears to me that all the stock piping on this truck of mine is 3 inch pipe. So for the muffler's I'm gonna be getting 3in in and out. But, what I'm curious is if it would be in my best interest to reduce the piping after the muffler down to 2.5inches to cut back on some of the noise. I'm wanting something that has a nice sound, but I don't want all my neighbors waking up when I'm going to work in the morning sorta sound. lol. So if I can just get some feedback from some people on their opinions for 3in VS 2.5in exits, that would be great! (Also, if someone can verify me on the size of the stock piping being 3in that would be cool too. Saves me from having to climb under there and measure lol)

4. koolbia

koolbia New Member

I just did my exhaust, my truck is an 07 but installing dual exhaust was pointless and benefit only the cosmetics. Performance wise, there was literally no point so I didn't do it.

I upgraded the exhaust to support my 6" lift & superchip to help improve fuel efficiency. I didn't want something loud. I went with a MBRP cat back system w/ 3.5" pipe. It gives it a nice sound without being too loud or grumbly. I'm extremely happy with the sound & improved fuel efficiency. Good luck!

5. c_m_chance

Alright! Cool! I think I did make up my mind. I think I'm gonna stick with the stock 3 inch pip all the way to the exit. But I'm gonna go ahead and put in an X-pipe between the cats and the mufflers. I ran a couple of numbers and figured out that it would still help some with CFM flow rate (would be better if it was before the cats, but considering it only costs about 20 bucks to make an x-pipe, I'm gonna do it lol.) Plus, the x-pipe will help quite it down a little bit more. Then gonna do the two hooker maxflow mufflers. Then gonna go with 3 inch pipe angled out the back behind the tires. (I do like the sound of a true dual, even if it's purely cosmetic. lol)

I'll definitely post up some pictures and some sound clips after I get it all done. Just gotta order in the parts and then pay the man!