1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hoping to build a house in the fall

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Crawdaddy, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Well, I am deciding that I want to take the next step and build a new house on my grandparent's property. So, I have been trying to figure out a housing solution that I can either purchase or build. I am looking to have 1100-1200 square feet of living space with I'm thinking 2 bedrooms and 2 and a half bathrooms, and I hope to build a decent sized garage. I've been trying to determine what options I have, and obviously I would like to do this as cheaply as possible (does anyone ever want to spend more money? :lol:).

I thought about mobile homes, but they seem to be pretty expensive for what they are and not very customizable and not of the best construction.

What I've come up with is a Tough Shell cabin that's being sold at Home Depot. I was looking at getting the 20'x32' Barn Deluxe model which is selling for 33K. They sell the building with an unfinished interior, so I would have to do all the interior work myself or contract it out. I was figuring I could do the interior framing for the rooms, electrical, phone/cable/alarm/network wiring, and perhaps the plumbing. I would contract out the drywall and possibly the flooring because of the skills needed that I don't currently posses.

No matter what I would have to have a septic system installed. From what my relatives tell me, who had to have a new one installed themselves, it costed in the range of 3K to have done.

All in all, I am hoping to pull off having a mortgage of less than what I am currently paying for my half of the rent, which is in the $450 range. However, I could possibly move up to a more reasonable note such as $550 or so. By my calculations using online calculators, conservatively, I can afford up to a 60K mortgage which is planning for about the worst situation I can imagine. I am a first-time home buyer/builder and I have very little clue what I'm doing. I think I'm on the right path with this tough shed cabin idea as it seems to be a reasonable price, especially if I do a lot of the work myself. This also means I can customize the inside with all the little geeky and other ammenities I would do to any home I would own with relative ease, since the walls would start completely open. Any advice on my plans and thoughts is greatly appreciated. I'm just tired of renting a house and I would like to live closer to my relatives, most of which are moving or have alread moved onto the property. I apologize if anything isn't clear. I'm just having a difficult time organizing my thoughts on this. I can and will clarify anything that needs to be. Thanks again guys for your almighty wisdom! :great:
  2. Project1

Project1 New Member

good for you man! building is nice because you can pay it off while your building pretty much cheaper sometimes than buying a pre-built ... but a house is nice man better than renting iv found
  3. Crawdaddy

I've always wanted to own, it just wasn't feasible before for me. I'm currently renting a 1000 square foot house that I split with my roommates. We pay $900 a month for this house, and it's only 1000 square feet, and it's a piece-o-crap. Not to mention we can't do anything to the house. Hell, in our lease agreement it says we can't have more than 6 pin-sized holes in the walls of the house. I'm not sure if my roommates would/will move into the house I'm building, so I'm currently planning on them not. If they do move in, I guess they'll be my tenants in the end and that'll help me pay the note and the utilities.:party: But like I said, I'm not planning on having their financial assistance with this. I scanned the little brochure that Home Depot has for the buildings since I can't really find any real mention of these cabins on the net....but they certainly exist... Here's a couple of links to the scanned pages. On the second page it lists the different prices depending on the size of the building and square footage. While I'm not crazy about the dormers, I like the Deluxe model better because the existence of the dormers cause the roof to go at a higher pitch, and therefore give more useable sqare footage on the second floor.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/crawdaddy444/cabinpage1.jpg
    http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/crawdaddy444/cabinpage2.jpg
  4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would build a house as they in most cases will go up in value. There are alot of nice mobile homes made today but they usually go down in value. Also you can build house the way you want it. Most homes are like a long term savings account, they go up in value.
  5. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Have you checked into a pole barn? I had a 40x60 built in my parents back yard, and it has a full upstairs loft in it that is totally liveable. I can park a ton of cars downstairs, and then I stay upstairs. It is actually illegal to do this in Ohio so I'm not sure about where you live, but we had it unfinished when the inspector came out and we slowly closed off the upstairs and ran all of the water, plumbing, heating and cooling upstairs. I had the complete barn built for $24,000, and then it cost about another $20,000 to do the upstairs including drywall and all of the goodies. So for $50,000 I have a 40x60 house with a built in garage, and it's all cemented in too. It as a porch off 3 of the 4 sides, and a large door in the front. For what your going to pay for that, and then you still have to build a garage to set next to it?:neutral:
  6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

About 8 yrs ago a friend of mine built a 3500 sqft barn on his land with an equal size stand-up loft, he ended up with 4 huge bdrms, lvng rm, eat-in kitchen, and 4 full baths (3 up, 1 dwn). Last year they converted a corner of the ground floor into an office and game room. He can park 12 cars on the ground floor and its got drive through doors at either end. They have around $70k invested in building costs.

While your looking at the building you might also want to look at some of the new innovative HVAC and power options available for new construction.

My friends house uses a heat pump system with radiant heating through the floor on both levels. The heat pump system in conjunction with an electric radiator and roof panels heats their hot water. They also use wind turbines on the roof that create electricity and have flapper valves that draw hot air out and create cooling drafts through the house during the summer. The turbine system doesnt provide a 100% of the power they use but it cuts the bills down some.
  7. Crawdaddy

I have thought about installing some solar panels on the roof to attempt to augment some of the power usage, but it seems like the initial cost is far too high for me to recoup the cost to install the system to get it back in a reasonable amount of time in power savings. Considering I'm in probably one of the hottest states in the US (factoring humidity into the equation) I don't think I'm going to need much in the line of heat. I definitely want to go with a central air and heat system because I know how much power window units consume. From inital thoughts, I am considering using a tankless water heater. The only downside I could see is that I would have to use propane and from I've heard from my uncle, it's currently $3 a gallon. I'd have to see if it's still more economical to go the tankless route over a traditional tank heater if I'm using propane.

The barn idea seems really nifty, but on the other hand, I'm not so sure that's for me. I will however investigate the costs to pull it off. I suspect they'd be as high or possibly even higher than my current plan, which would unfortunately rule it out.

This has all given me things to think about. In creating a budget and figuring out how much this will cost, I am trying to estimate costs of the various parts of interior finishing. I still need to estimate the cost to lay a raised foundation to put the house on, the cost to have a plumber come in and rough in the plumbing and the cost to trim the plumbing out, gas rough in/trim out, HVAC, and cabinets. So far, the budget is up to 51K on just what I have so far... :gasp: I might not be getting my garage after all...
  8. bry2500

bry2500 New Member 1000 Posts

I built my house 5 years ago at a cost of $150,000. But that is in one of the most expensive states in the US. It is 1800 sq/ft. My mortgage is $854 principal and interest and then with insurance and taxes ends up being $1300. I have 3 bedrooms and 2 1/2 baths. Radiant heat, granite counters, tile and hardwood floors. I did all the wiring and painting. The plumbing was the most expensive I had to sub out alot of the things I could do because of a baby on the way. break down of costs:

carpenter= 14000 (interior walls, tiles and floors, siding)
    plumber= 25000 (heating system and all piping and fixtures)
    foundation = 5000
    architect = 6000 ( needed drawings for planning board and building inspector)
    cabinets = 13500
    granite counters = 7500
    appliances = 7000
    excavator for foundation = 3500
    electrical supplies = 5000
    lawyers fees = 7500 ( we had some variances we had to get approved)

all the rest was building supplies

These are just rough numbers, it is the best I can remember

I saved 20000 just by wiring it myself. I went with alot of higher end things since I was building myself mostly. I could definitely went much cheaper and saved a bundle. I wish I did a garage too though.

I see this being totally feasible for you especially at todays interest rates.

good luck on the build.
  9. crane557

crane557 New Member

Looks like you've done your homework and gotten lots of good advice on the forum. Good luck with the build, I'm renting and I'd love to build somewhere.
  10. cascott325

cascott325 New Member 1000 Posts

i haven't taken the time to read all of the posts on here, but i need to type this out before i forget what i am thinking about lol. if i were you, i would do a little more shopping around for a "barn frame" type building. on projects like that, lowes and home depot do not own those buildings, they contract out all their cabinetry work, any their floor work, all of their sheds, pretty much if it requires them to go to your house to do it, it is contracted out which means that there is the price of materials, cost of the manufacturer, cost of the dealer, cost of labor, and a few more other things tacked on into that price. i believe that if you were to do some real homewok on this, you could probably get a better shelter for a better price.

you also need to research ho much all of your permits will cost, the cost of all the inspections required, the cost of all of your materials for the part you will do (electric, data, framing, plumbing, finishing, etc.) my suggestion on that, is to get in contact with a few framers in you area and sit down with them and talk with them to see what all you will need and get some round about prices to work with.

if you end up contracting it out, the lowest bid may not always be the best choice. you need to research how these contractors have done in the past, their pro's and con's. you will definately get what you pay for

edit: after reading, i noticed that someone mentioned a heat pump... dont go that route, heat pumps are so in efficient, plus you have to hear them run ALL THE TIME. they are expensive to fix, and after a few years, are almost impossible to find parts for. some people will disagree and say they are great, but gas heat is the way to go. on average, your bills will be cheaper
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2009