1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

horn problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by GM_Guy, Aug 4, 2007.

1. GM_Guy

GM_Guy New Member ROTM Winner

the horn on my 89 suburban is not working.
    I have checked the fuse, it was ok. should I check the relay next? or could the horns themselves be bad? need to fix this, otherwise, I have to use My finger
  2. Cableguy

Cableguy Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

If you use a second guy you can use a test light at horn and get them to press horn switch. Then work your way back.
  3. 84fiero123

84fiero123 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

low tech rules

That would be my suggestion.
  4. Cableguy

Cableguy Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Not bad. (for a Cableguy, Eh!)
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I say just use your finger you'll probably get more of a responce that way, most people ignore horns now a a days.

If you suspect its the horn use a hot wire from the battery (preferably with an inline fuse) and give it a blast.
    My moneys on either the relay, or the steering wheel switch.
    For the steering wheel switch use either a short tester or a multi meter, after you get the steering wheel apart test it while pushing the horn contacts on.
    For the relay make sure you have power from the battery (this should be a full time hot) find the switching wire and use a jumper from the hot, then test the horn power wire for voltage.
    This could also be a good time to install an inexspensive air horn from Auto Zone. It'll probably cost near what you'll spend in NOS repair parts.
  6. mitch2264

mitch2264 New Member

My high note went out

and I just replaced it last week. On mine it was behind the battery--a little aggravating to get to, but I have seen worse! I had a dickens of a time getting the correct one. The Chevy dealer wanted $63.00 for one horn! I wound up getting it from NAPA for $28.00. It is OEM and the same brand as the factory--"FIAMM" brand. I tested mine to make sure it was the horn and not the relay with a test light by clicking the remote to make the horn chirp.

I had to do something --we had 2 instances on vaction where we needed the horn to work and I could not to my finger fast enough :)

Good luck!

Mitch
  7. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts

When in Texas do like Texans!:rofl: