1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

horn relay location

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by truckman33, Aug 10, 2014.

1. truckman33

truckman33 New Member

Hi all
    I'm Tommy, I have a 2008 chevrolet Silverado LT, gas.
    a couple of days ago my truck horn chirped twice as if I had used the remote to lock doors, didnt think to much of it at the time but about 5 minutes later it went full blast, i mean loud...lol...couldnot turn it off with remote or actually getting inside truck and turning switch on and off and banging the steering wheel horn, finally found fuse removed it and what a relief on the ears.
    Fuse was ok, but now I am thinking that the horn relay switch is bad, looked at fuse diagram in fusebox cover, it shows all fuses but I donot see any thing saying horn relay. I looked at each fuse number and it's purpose, nothing for relay.
    Maybe I am looking in the wrong place?
    Can someone tell me where to find the horn relay and what it looks like? I am hoping to avoid a visit to my local Chevy dealership and get the part at a local AutoZone or NAPA store.

All replies will be appreciated very much

Tommy
  2. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I doubt it is the horn relay. most times it is the horn switch. find the horn relay see if you get power on the relay control coil . if you have power on that coil then the horn will sound.

you ever have air bag work/any steering wheel/column type work ? then we get into alarm systems ???
  3. truckman33

truckman33 New Member

Jcat i purchased the truck used in 10, carfax showed left fender replacement and no frame damage.
    no air bag, steering wheel work...My neighbor also mentioned the alarm thing too.I am not to mechanically incline but if you tell me what and where to find the horn switch, I probably can do that.
    Is the horn switch easily removable and replaceable?

Tommy
  4. j cat

the horn switch is under the air bag . not like years ago.. if you never did this before then I would not recommend messing with it.. still though even the dealership have problems fixing this type failure.

so do you have an alarm in this ? If so I would guess that is it.. then the horn switch at the air bag steering wheel..

you should get an all data subscription so that you have the wiring diagrams to accurately troubleshoot this ..electrical problems at the dealership/repair shops can be expensive with the labor and they may just change parts until fixed at your expense so that it not good..

post back whats up..

front fender got smashed... could be they just removed the air bag ... they are expensive ... look at this see if there is an air bag in there..
  5. truckman33

truckman33 New Member

Jcat,
    I do have the alarm whenever I open the door with my key this things goes nuts.
    Wow!! yeah this seems way above my pay grade. I think I will just keep the fuse out, if that is ok and later this year I was thinking about trading it in on a later Silverado anyway.
    I will look and see if I can see the air bag, I know I do see a luminated sign saying airbag is on.

I will let you know if I do actually see the bag in a later post.

thanks
    Tommy
  6. j cat

the removal or not replacing the air bag is not good...if this was a dealership or car dealer sale and you find it gone this should be replaced by them.

these car fax history reports are created by the government and we all know how that is working ...some have sued the car fax sales companies. car fax stated car was not stolen .. car then was stolen owner looses the car and his money..

there is a lag with these histories....
  7. truckman33

truckman33 New Member

Jcat, I went to dealership where I purchased the truck and also called GM customer satisfaction rep., GM say they will waive all diagnostic charges from dealership, and might assist me with some of the charges of repair. dealership says it might be the contacts sticking and should be done by them since it is under airbag. I asked for a guestimation of charges $250-400 dollars. This is crazy...So now I am thinking about just replacing the fuse and see what happens. Any thoughts on that???
  8. j cat

I would try to get them down in cost . if that air bag was installed wrong or is not in there. air bags are an item that repair shops avoid. If the bag is damaged or not installed they should pay for the complete repair.