1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Horn-

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by daanbc, Feb 28, 2007.

1. daanbc

daanbc New Member

Am I the only one who thinks that these burbs need a louder horn? I'm thinking of a air horn. I found one horn on the pas. side, But the one on the drivers side is hidden pretty well. Is it possible to un-hook the one, use that feed to wire in a air horn? Has anyone done this? Oh by the way, at my daughters high school today, Some kid had this ford exp. raised about a foot or so, and the darn thing had a TRAIN horn. He blasted that thing, Everybody jumped! Sounded just like a friggin train! To loud for my taste, But a nice small air horn would do my 04 justice.
  2. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Member 1000 Posts

You could definitely put an air horn in and wire it up to the existing horn wiring. Makes it a painless install. I just installed air horns on my father-in-law's F350. They're from Wolo, they sound pretty good. Don't let the sound byte on the website fool you. They sound better than that.
    Sounds like a train horn, but not as loud. (same tone, not as obnoxious)
    His are the Powerhouse 418's about in the middle of the page.
    http://www.wolo-mfg.com/air.htm

I will say this, sound quality really depends on materials used in construction. Plastic trumpets will sound different than chrome plated.

The only downside I saw, was that for the roof mounted model they don't offer enough hose to hide the compressor very far away from the horns. If you get something for under the hood, it obviously shouldn't matter where you put the compressor.
  3. daanbc

daanbc New Member

I was deff. thinking under the hood. Thanks for the info.!:biggrin:
  4. 84fiero123

84fiero123 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

air horns

Something about Fords.

My 92 F150 had one of the whiniest horns, so I took a set of air horns that I had put in my 84 Fiero and because of it’s wimpy horn.

Just remember these horns need to pressure up each time you use them. They don’t have a storage tank for air, so you have to hold the air horns for a second. Not just rap the horn button.

As far as brands, I don’t know.
  5. TrailLeadr

I would normally agree, but the pump supplied with the horn he got was a high volume horn, I guess. There is no lag time, even with 18 feet of hose installed. He didn't want any holes drilled, so we ran the hose from the engine compartment under the cab, and up to the horn mounted on the "back-rack".
  6. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Air horn is the way to go. You could get a PTO operated compressor and run a real train horn. that would move traffic, I'll bet.
  7. TrailLeadr

Move traffic, cause heart attacks, break windows:tongue:
  8. daanbc

daanbc New Member

I believe that's what that exp. had. My side view mirrors shook when he blasted that thing.!
  9. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts

mp3 Horn

I used to sell Fiamm air horns. Very Italian. Wolo has one that plays La Cucaracha that I sold to a lot of lunch truck operators. The latest is the mp3 horn. Check it out at: SqueezeOC.com Imagine you can really annoy people with the latest Britney Spears shriek.....err song.
    [​IMG]
  10. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Now that this thread has been appeared and going on, ya'll got me wanting to put a train horn on my sub. It really shouldn't be too hard of an install. run a small 12vdc compressor into a holding tank under the truck...loads of fun to roll around with. It's either gonna be that or a pair of truck horns. Either way it'll be fun :)