Houston we have a problem

Discussion in 'Chevy HHR Forum' started by tbplus10, Mar 25, 2015.

1. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Back in 2008 when we bought my wifes 2008 HHR it was a special order vehicle that for some reason had its "point of origin" listed as Houston Tx., the name stuck for the last almost 7 yrs.
    Unfortunately last Friday morning Houston took her last ride, less than 6 miles from home she was hit by a texting driver that ran a red light.
    The wife was driving and only recieved 7 stitches and an egg sized bump on her head, along with bruises all over her body.
    Houston was hit in the left front on the wheel and windshield post.
    Unfortunately the hit bent the subframe cradle and pushed the engine 11" to the right.
    The unibody was still straight but with blown air bags and the whole front end sheet metal destroyed, along with unknown engine damage she was totaled.
    The wife almost broke out in tears when the adjuster gave her the news.
    Shes looking at Houstons baby pictures tonight.

2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT MODERATOR Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Tim....Sorry to hear about Houston......Glad to hear that your Wife seems to have come away from this accident with no major Injury's......I Hate those People who think its OK To Text while DRIVING!!!!!.....:mad:

3. tbplus10

Thanks Mike.
    It seemed to be perfect timing for Pantherunica's question about this subject.
    The city my wife was hit in, Arlington Tx has a ban on texting and driving, and even if the other driver hadnt run the light she wouldve been considered "at fault" just because she was texting.
    The investigating officer automatically checked both drivers phones for activity at the time of the accident.
    Texas is set to vote, and hopefully pass a statewide ban on texting and driving.

4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT MODERATOR Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Once again, Glad to hear your Wife is OK....I HATE DRIVERS that are Texting While Driving, here in Calif we have a Hand-Free Law regarding the use of Cell Phones when Driving, But the Maximum Penalty for a First-Time Offender is JUST $20, the Lowest in the Country, Which IMO IS A JOKE!!!....

5. tbplus10

Thats more like an inconvenience.
    Arlington is $250 first time and doubles every time afterwards.
    If involved in an accident while texting you are considered to be at fault for distracted driving whether it was your fault or not.
    Dont know what the new statewide penalties are projected to be.
    One more reason Im glad I didnt return to Ca. when I retired from the Navy.

6. Chesters

Chesters Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

How long you been retired TB?

7. 99'HEARTBEAT

The $20.00 Fine.....is like you said, is an Inconvenience, I see more and more People either Talking or Texting on their Cell Phone, IMO they don't care about the Hands-Free Law and if caught, they don't mind paying the $20.00 fine.....I don't know what the fines are after the 1st one??......and as far as what the fine will be projected, I don't know......and I don't blame you for not returning to Calif......if its not one thing, its another.....

Pikey likes this.
  8. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Glad your wife made it through without major injury. Sorry about Houston

9. Chesters

Chesters Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

I don't text and drive, but I don't wear my seat belt. No fines yet, but belts only affect me. Can't kill or maim others by that one. Just like helmet law should be a individual choice, and is here! Cali. No thanks

10. 99'HEARTBEAT

I Agree with you on the Seat Belt and the Helmet Laws, it should be a Individual's Choice......But on the Texting while Driving Something Needs to be Done, I don't know what or how to Stop People from doing it????.....;)