Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

How are your 2wd/4wd transfer buttons holding up?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Springthing, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I've had to pop out the 4wd selector switch unit thing and leave it partially sticking out. Once in a while I'll get in the Suburban, and after starting the engine the Check 4WD light will be on. I knock the module a little bit, turn the truck off and then back on and normally the light will be off. I also had it at one point where I used the 4WD.. the 2WD wouldn't pop back on afterwards. I had to pull the module out and wiggle the wires a little bit and then push the 2WD button to make it work.

Am I looking at a new switch module?

Anyone else have the problem before? I think I read a post here before about this issue.

2. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

My '04 has about 110,000 miles and works like a charm! I use 4wd at least once per month, if not more.

3. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Maybe a short in the module?

If the 4wd is working correctly I personally would replace the module check all the wires and fuses for it. If that dosent work Id prolly just leave it. IF the 4wd works fine. :neutral:

4. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I've always had the shifter on the floor but I know that if it doesn't want to go back into 2wd it helps if you back up a little bit. :neutral:

5. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Naw, this is most likely just a bad module that I need to replace. I'll check the wiring next time I feel like messing with all that stuff before I do, though. I was just curious as to if anyone had had this same problem before and if the module did, indeed, fix the problem.

6. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I agree with replacing the module.

7. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Its new module time, same thing mine did

8. silverado480

silverado480 Rockstar

I have a 2001 with 120k miles and still works :great:

9. BurtsBurb

BurtsBurb Member

At 102K miles I had the Check 4WD light coming on sporadically. My mechanic said it was either the dash switch or the control module and suggested we start with the cheaper of the two: the dash switch. So he replaced it, and I haven't seen that light again. 127K miles now.

10. garschult

garschult New Member

4WD Selector Switch

I've got a bad one, can't find a new one, in town (Cedar Rapids), or online, that looks like mine. Has the 2wd and 4wd auto below it, then on the right has the 4Hi and 4low. All have led light that show which it is on. Does anyone know of a good parts place online? Also, I've been able to find the switch that looks like mine, but without the 4wd auto switch. This is the one that comes up in my searches for the year/make/model I have. Weird! 1999 GMC Suburban K1500 4WD.
    Thanks for any input!
    Dec. 7th. Popped in a new switch I found at the dealer. It's not the switch. New one has no lights either, nor will the truck shift into 4WD. Could this still be an actuator problem, or without the switch lighting up at all, would I be looking at wiring?
    Thanks!
    Gar

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008