1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How best to keep Tranny alive?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by trapper_canada, Oct 23, 2009.

1. trapper_canada

trapper_canada New Member

Just got the truck. Transmission has 285,000km on it (177,000 miles).

I don't have any information on when tranny was last serviced. What is the best thing I should have done to ensure a few more years/miles of life?

Flush? Fluid change? Additive? Nothing?

I have read (other vehicles) that some trannies REALLY prefer specific fluids... is there such an issue with these? (2000 Sierra)

Getting an oil change as well...any suggestions there (re: engine?)

THANKS!
  2. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

I would start changing fluids at every point if you are not sure when, or if they have ever been changed. Front, rear differentials, t-case and tranny. Did you buy this truck at a dealership? If it was a local trade-in the dealership may have records of servicing, or they could contact the previous owner to get info.
  3. trapper_canada

trapper_canada New Member

It was a private sale. It has a history of being a "work truck" so that either means lots of care or no care. The guy I bought it from didn't have much of a history from prev owner who moved cross country with it. If there were any dealer servicing it would have been on the coast. So needless to say I am flying blind.
  4. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts

Take a look at the fluid. If it's red just change the filter and top it off with Dextron 6 fluid. Synthetic fluid is best. If the fluid is brown then change the filter and flush the old fluid out with new fluid. It will take about 15 quarts to get it back to normal.