How can i fit both a throttlebody spacer and intake?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by ippielb, Apr 4, 2009.

1. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Here's what mine looked like, I'm going to say no, that it wont fit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. norcalbear05

norcalbear05 Rockstar

im having the same problem. i have heard that you cant fit an air raid TBS with a K&N CAI because AIRAID makes it so its only compatable with their CAI. yet ive heard ppl made it work. if you look on summits site Trans-dapt, Trick-Flow & JET also make TBS but i want to make sure itll fit and is it really worth it for what its meant to do?

and ive heard JETs products are ****ty.

its for my '90 silverado

3. TPayne03silverado

TPayne03silverado New Member

I have an extended cab 03 silverado and was wondering the same thing. I am about to buy a k&n 57 series cold air intake and order an air raid throttle body spacer and was wondering if it would fit. The 03 vortec is slightly different. I would buy the air raid intake but the k&n 57 series is a better product.

4. Jacqson

Jacqson Rockstar 100 Posts

Don't want to rain on your parade but, to be honest, don't waste your money on either product. I had a K&N filter with the TB spacer on my 02 6.0 Sub and all I got was a whistle from the spacer(No performance) and a fine dust on the throttle body intake from the crappy filtration of the K&N filter. If you want a CAI for your truck then look in to a quality system like S&B. If you're serious about proper air filtration for your rig then IMHO don't go near a K&N or waste your money on a TBS. You'll get more performance with an ECM tune.

5. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Agreed about the TBS they are a waste of time and only help trucks with carbs. They actually hurt modern Vortec engines because they create turbulence in the intake which effects the vortex of air and fuel entering the cylinders.

GM worked very hard on the intakes of these engines to increase HP and torque. From 95 to 96 alone the 5.7 went from 200hp to 255 hp because GM introduced the Vortec engine that had SFI, CAI, computer controlled engine management, and their new intake design that created a vortex of air and fuel allowing the cylinder to take in more air than before and by combining that with a better compression ratio it gave them the most advanced engine ever built at that time.

Also modern intakes on GM trucks are technically cold air intakes, any intake that takes in air from out side of the engine compartment is a cold air intake and most aftermarket CAI's take are not as air tight as the factory system so they take in "hot" air from the engine compartment. @Jacqson I'm not sure why you had trouble with the K&N filter. K&N makes a very high quality product and filters very well as long as you clean and re-oil it properly.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  6. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I also agree that this kn cold air intake and the TBSpacer offers no gain , also it allows water/dirt to enter the engine.

7. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

When I get my truck up here in Virginia, the first thing I will probably do is take off the TBS and the air intake that I have. I love the whistle, but I do believe its hurting my performance. Thank God I kept the stock air box.

8. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

The only way I see both fitting is to convert to duel electric fans and do away with the factory fan shroud.

9. barefoot greg

barefoot greg Rockstar 100 Posts

[MENTION=51590]Pikey[/MENTION]

What are some good companies making Dual electric fans?

- - - Updated - - -

@ PIKEY
    What are some good companies making Dual electric Fans for the gm trucks?
    By being electric I assume that they do not run off of the serpentine belt, would this change the length of belt needed or is the fan attatched to a pulley that still gets used for another purpose?

10. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts