Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

How can I get a better brake reaction or effect ?

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by JTWard, Aug 9, 2014.

1. JTWard

JTWard Member 1 Year Gold Member 100 Posts

Over the last 3 years I've rebuilt my sad 1990 1500 Silverado $(KGrHqF,!nsF!IhT3EifBQNkq2,Cq!~~60_12.jpg . . . Since then it's become much, much more. To the point that the only remaining parts are the seat belts & tailgate. So since I've come this far, I'd like to get a better caliper of braking. Originally, we only replace the caliper, rotor and stock brake pads. But I don't know a thing about brake dynamics. Is it better to go with just slotted rotors or drilled & slotted and I don't want ceramic pads, but I'd like 'Harke' pads. What do you think ? :sign0011: SANY0004.jpg

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I've used ceramic pads with drilled rotors on many different vehicles with good results every time.
    Newer ceramic pads dont tend to wear down rotors as fast as ceramic pads mfgrd a few years ago.

3. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Just my 2 cents, but unless your going to be working the brakes real hard (as in road racing), slotted/drilled rotors will not buy you anything. Good pads and good smooth rotors will get you stopping power.

DaveNM likes this.
  4. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

I had some drilled slotted rotors and they were junk, They rusted from the drilled holes out and were shot in just over a year. Im sure they were the cheapest I could find but supposedly had a zinc plating on them to prevent them from rusting. Well the surface was ok until the rust cancered its way to the surface from the drilled holes. I went back to smooth ones. Im sure there are some good ones out there but I guess you win some you lose some.:no:

5. JTWard

Of all the answers I have received is a good GM made slotted with Hawk performance pads. Ceramics are great in some aspects, but as the "Phantom" has made clear, they rust way past their prime fast, very fast. I'm looking for something for my front brakes package that will play fine on the day in day out basis and when I'm loaded with a trailer, they can provide a little extra stopping help on the very axle that plays the first and foremost role in the vehicles braking power.

6. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

There's no real way to increase your brakes performance and "performance", in this case, means stopping distance. There's no real way to get your car to "stop on a dime" if it doesn't do so already. All you can do is drive slower and/or drastically reduce the weight of your vehicle. Although, I suppose getting larger rotors and pads might decrease your stopping distance but drilled/slotted rotors will not accomplish this.

Drilled/slotted rotors will not reduce your stopping distance. All drilled/slotted rotors do is help get rid of heat. As brakes heat up, they "fade" or simply don't stop as well. Drilled/slotted rotors only help reduce the heat quicker so there is less fade. Which is to say, drilled/slotted rotors only help race cars, or cars that do a lot of hard braking in a short amount of time.

Brakes work best when they are cold and by that I mean, when you first get in your car each day, the best brake performance you are going to have is the the first time you use the brakes. After that, heat is building up and your brakes will fade. Most people doing their daily driving still don't need drilled/slotted rotors.

7. JTWard

NO, I was just looking for some extra confidence with a loaded trailer on the back. I guess whatever I got is going to be the best I can get !

8. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have power stop drilled and slotted rotors and power stop pads installed on my truck. They made a big difference in stopping power. They bite much harder then the Stocks. I had replaced the stock rotors and pads with oem. there was no difference with new oem equipment. I also installed a five line braided stainless steel brake line kit. It replaced all the rubber wines going from the brake lines to the caliper. It made a major difference in pedal feel the pedal is much firmer now. If I remember correctly your model year truck still has rear drums. You may want to consider doing a rear disc conversion kit.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
    DaveNM and 99'HEARTBEAT like this.
  9. poncho62

poncho62 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Trailer brakes.............
    Ceramic pads are going to give you better stopping that asbestos or metallic pads

10. JTWard

Do you have to do a "Break-In" after putting on the drill & Slotted rotors and the ceramic pads and what brand did you use ? Did it change the brake pedal travel ????