1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How can i make a 5.3 faster and better take off.

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by all mighty l, Apr 29, 2009.

Random Gallery Photos

1. all mighty l

all mighty l New Member

Im trying to figure out wht i should do to my truck.. i was planning to buy subs but id rather make it faster but not go too high in price. I'm planning on getting a K&N cold air intake but dont know what else or type of stuff
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  2. heavy chevy

heavy chevy New Member 100 Posts

A gear swap to like a 373 and a good custom tune and you will be well on your way. That is after you install a CAI and exhaust. Good luck man
  3. all mighty l

all mighty l New Member

um. i have no clue what you just said....well i mean like i don't know what that means... except for the gear thing and i gt glass packs if thse are any good true duals
  4. 1_low_rider

1_low_rider New Member 100 Posts

other less expensive upgrades are throttle body spacer, lightened pulleys, low temp thermostat, MAF sensor. most of which are not too bad hard to install, after that your gonna have to spend some money if want noticable results. 5.3's are a really good powerplant but the only thing they got going for them from the factory are vortec heads! if u wanna make some true power u'll need an engine rebuild and upgrade all the internals, AND THATS VERY EXPENSIVE!! but if u look in the right places you can probably make around 500hp for about 2-3 grand.
  5. heavy chevy

If you want to go faster put different gears in your truck 373 is a good gear you should have 342 gears right now. Also buy you a custom handheald tuner and you will be well on your way to going faster. That is after you get a Cold Air Intake and a good aftermarket exhaust.
  6. masterfoxscout

masterfoxscout New Member 100 Posts

My thoughts:

3.73 gears - Around $2000 for parts and install
    CAI by K&N or AirAID - $220 - $299 (do it yourself)
    Throttlebody Spacer - $100 (do it yourself)
    Programmer - $299 - $499 (do it yourself)
    Exhaust - about $500 for parts and install

These are Alaska prices...so I'm sure they are steep depending on where you sling your mud at.

You do that and your gonna be quite pleased especially if you are running stock tires and haven't lifted it. I have all off the same mods on my 5.3L (except 4.56 gears and lift/tires) and I am COMPLETELY pleased at my performance.
  7. heavy chevy

Where are you getting 2 grand for parts and install. I just got quoted at 300.00 for the swap in my 08 silverado. I couldnt even see it costing that much if you bought the whole axle. That is parts and labor. It is only about 1.5 hrs to swap the gears out. Then if you dont have a tuner you have to purchase that to swap your gear ratio on you pcm.
  8. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Start out with an intake and exhuast, I'd recommend Volant intake and Gibson exhaust because that's what I have, but the choice is up to you, that will set you back about $700-$800 after that maybe a programmer another $300-$400 and then after that you're going to have to spend some real money! :great:
  9. bry2500

bry2500 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

You need a programmer that will disable GM's torque management. That will give you better take offs. The tuner will also help with a wee bit more horsepower. CAI and exhaust will help it all breath better and get you moving faster. If you get ambitious then I would mess with a new camshaft (~ $300 - $400), if your not familiar with engines have some else install the cam. Modding a vehicle is a true adventure, doing the work yourself wherever you can will save you big and gives that sense of accomplishment. Plus you know how it went together if there ever is an issue you'll know where to lokk for problems.
  10. MD08SILVERADO

MD08SILVERADO New Member

5.3l

I got a 2008 silverado 5.3
    i did a k&n intake the plastic one not the chrome better for performance doesn't hold as much heat
    a edge programmer with the dash pod
    a gm performance exhaust stainless steel very very nice deep sound