How can I tow this Suburban ??

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by omnisi, Apr 8, 2009.

1. omnisi

omnisi New Member 100 Posts

Its a 1990 Suburban, 6.2L diesel 4x4, automatic.

Can I tow this vehicle? And, if so, how?

Thanks
  2. KidHauler

KidHauler New Member 100 Posts

How do you mean? You need to tow the truck from point A to B, or tow with it?
  3. werty

werty New Member 100 Posts

:great:you tow it with a bigger truck:great:i would not suggest a dogde or a ford..and hope it doesnt fight back...:lol::party:
  4. omnisi

I want to tow it like you would tow a Jeep to...pull it behind another vehicle.

I mean, can I put the transfer case and tranny in neutral and tow/pull it, or what would be the proper way?
  5. werty

werty New Member 100 Posts

How long how far...........
  6. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

You have a few options, but it would be helpful to know what you plan to tow it with.
    You can use a tow-bar unless they are illegal in your area. (although I'm not sure of weight limits on tow-bars)
    You can use a front end dolly, you can rent these from U-haul. They support the front wheels off the ground, and then you just need to put the transfer case in neutral.
    Or you can use a flatbed car trailer.

Lastly if you have AAA you can get them to tow the vehicle on a flat bed wrecker. They typically will tow 3 miles for free on the economy plan, and if you have the premium plan they will tow up to 120 miles for free. (well last I knew those were the distances)
  7. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy New Member 100 Posts

you might can tow it with a tow bar, but from what i remember looking at, those car dollies arent wide enough. they are made for smaller cars like civics and accords. the flat beds made for cars are usually made for cars and are somewhat difficult (for me it was) to find one that could support the weight of a truck. and all this was looking at renting one from Uhaul or something. i've seen people tow trucks but it's always been on one of those fancy fifth wheel trailers.
  8. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

If it's not far and you don't mind lieing some, a u-haul trailer should be able to do the job, if you get the right model trailler. u-haul has some new trailers and some old trailers. The new ones I think are larger than the older ones and can carry more weight. However, unless you have a 1-ton dually in the wings, u-haul will not rent you the trailer if you tell them you're putting a burb on it. Even then they may deny you. Best would be to get it towed on a flatbed tow truck or large flatbed trailer pulled by a 1-ton.
  9. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

You can tow it "4 down" by putting the transfer case in neutral. I tow my '04 C/C behind my motor home. There should be instructions in the "Owners Manual" for doing this. Yours is heavier than mine, but that just mean you need to tow with something that has plenty of power. I've seen Sub's behind motor homes on the road for years. Good luck!
  10. omnisi

Thats what Im looking for. I have a Titan that pulls anything I attach it to....very strong. I just wanted to know, using a tow bar, what gear the trannny and transfer case need to be in to pull it behind another vehicle.

Thanks again