1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

How can you freshen up the alternator?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by bazar01, Apr 13, 2012.

1. bazar01

bazar01 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

With 150k miles, I am pretty sure the next to go out will be the alternator. I already did a tune up by replacing spark plugs and also replaced the belts. Can you replace just the brushes and internal regulator on the alternator? Where can you get parts?
    I am trying to catch up on my preventive maintenance.
    Thanks.

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

You dont normally freshen up an alternator, it's usually run until it has problems, this is one of those parts that could run for 20 miles or a million miles you cant ever tell wich it'll be untill you get there.
    But if you really want to do preventive maintenance look up electrical shops in your area there should be someone that rebuilds alternators.
    Check the price on remanned alternators while your at it, they may be cheaper.

3. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

4. bazar01

was at 07:21 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 07:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 AM ----------

Well my alternator reached 150k miles so might as well freshen it up. I am thinking along the lines of replacing the carbon brushes, cleaning up the slip rings, replacing the two bearings and the internal voltage regulator if it has one.

Aloxdaddy, tha is a great site. Delco alternator repair kits only cost about $27. I will call them today and find out more info. Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  5. janikphoto

janikphoto Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Yeah, I just watched an episode of Wheeler Dealers where the mechanic opened up a noisy alternator and replaced the bearings. Other than that and a few electronic components, an alternator is just a big ball of wound copper wire. Not a ton of parts to replace, really...

6. 07XCSB

07XCSB Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

You might be able to find a local rebuilder to get the parts from or have them do it if you don't have the tools

7. bazar01

I went to the site and checked the parts look up.

It looks like I have to identify which alternator I have from the 3 listed.
    1. Bosch alt - 125 amp
    2. Declso opt. - 130 amp
    3. Delco std. 105 amp

The regulator is $26.20
    Brush holder is $5.90
    Bearings> $2.70 and $4.10 for front and rear 6202 and 6203.

Anybody knows how to identify my alternator?

Alternator parts.jpg Alternator parts 2.jpg

8. bazar01

I called the dealer and gave them my VIN. I have a 130 amp Delco alternator.

I will just order the parts and rebuild it myself. It should not be that hard. I will post and update when I get the parts.

9. janikphoto

janikphoto Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

You should definitely take pictures as you do the rebuild. It would make for a great tutorial and DIY walkthrough for the forum! I'd love to read it, anyway... Or, at least post a good narrative on the process, telling us about the harder and easier spots.

10. bazar01

I will surely take pics for reference.

I just ordered the parts online.
    1. Regulator - PN D200XHD - $26.20
    2. Brush assy - PN 39-112 - 5.90
    3. Bearing - 6202 - 2.70
    4. Bearing - 6303 4.10
    5. Shipping 12.90
    Total: $51.80

Good for another 100k miles unless the rectifier goes out. Rectifier $33.90

Advance Auto rebuilt unit: $159