1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How did you quit smoking?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by padthaiguy, Mar 28, 2010.

1. padthaiguy

padthaiguy New Member

Ok I have been smoking for 5 years, I just turned 30 and I am ready to quit smoking forever. The first time I quit I used the gum and had limited success. My wife watches the doctors tv show and they were talking about electronic cigarettes. They seemed to support them so I ordered one online. You think they will work better than other methods? Here is a youtube clip of the tv show that talks about the benefits of using them. Please give me some information so I have a better chance of kicking the habit.

YouTube- Electronic Cigarette-ecigarette: Featured on The Doctors TV Show.
  2. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

A coworker uses them and says that he likes them.. Me im not ready to kick the habit yet
  3. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts

When you get really to quit, quit cold turkey. All the gum and pills in the world will not help you quit. They will just prolong the agony. My MIL has been chewing the Nicorette for 12 years now. LOL
    Seriously if you really want to quit you will quit cold turkey. Quitting nicotine is one of the hardest things you will ever have to do. Some people just can't do it. One thing is for sure, it can and will kill you!
  4. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

that was my plan anyhow...
  5. Bigbomber

Bigbomber New Member 1000 Posts

Quit cold turkey last august.I've smoked on and off throughout my life,but now that i'm in my 40's i want to be around to see my girls get married and have children.I also finally realised how selfish i've been by hurting my loved ones if i were to pass on because of my stupid habit.
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  6. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Active Member 1000 Posts

I started smoking when I was 14, and on May 3rd of this year will mark my 2 year anniversary of being smoke free. In my almost 30 years of smoking I tried to quit several times unsucessfully. Each time I did it cold turkey. But this time I feel I was mentally ready to quit. I basically told myself that "I choose not to smoke" and so far it has worked. My wife still smokes and it doesn't bother me at all, and during the quitting process I kept my routines the same, for example at work I would go along with my co- workers for "smoke" breaks but I would "choose not to smoke" , I did this so the change in my daily life wouldn't be so drastic, to try and keep the normalcy. This way the only change would be the absence of the cigarette. I still think the biggest the thing is you have to be ready to quit, you have to "want" it, not just do it bcause you know you should. Good luck to anyone who tries to quit the habit, I'm glad I have and I promise you, you will feel healthier, I haven't been sick in the past 2 years! Coincidence? I don't think so! :glasses:
    1 person likes this.
  7. In2Trux

In2Trux New Member

Congratulations padthaiguy for taking that first step to living a longer and healthier life.
    I'm sure your grandkids will thank you for it.

I smoked from the age of 15 yrs old until I was 32 yrs old
    I tried three times to quit. Finally got real and got it right. I've been smoke free for almost 18 yrs now. I'm 47 yrs old

You have to REALLY want it, (SMOKE FREE)
    On my 3rd attempt I saw my Dad huffing and puffing and fighting for air once. I asked him what was the matter. He finally told me he was diagnosed with a mild case of emphysema.
    I always thought my Dad was the strongest and most proud man in the world.
    When I saw how vulnerable and sad my Dad was that day... I made the decision, I was going to be there for my kids and my grandkids.
    The patch helped with the withdrawal and cravings
    Smoke free 17 yrs now. I can almost keep up with my 4 yr old grandson :happy:

Good luck padthaiguy
    Let us know how it works out for you
  8. pmartin816

pmartin816 New Member 1000 Posts

I smoke for 12 years and just recently quit last july. I went and saw a hypnotist to help me quit and it at least worked for me. I dont think it will work for everybody, I had a couple of coworkers that tried going to the same guy and they only made it a couple of weeks. I think the difference was that I was completely ready to quit and just used the hypnotist as added help. If your not completely ready to quit mentally your just kidding yourself. All of the gum and fake cigerattes wont help because you really dont want to do it. Good luck it is the hardest thing I've ever done, but was completely worth it.
  9. BadBurban98

BadBurban98 New Member

One of my brothers in the fire department had gotten the electronic cigs he said it made him want a real cig even more because the little cartrages have different nicoten levels and, the flavor adders it got more expensive then smoking...i personally never smoked and don't intend to
  10. Shorty 71

Shorty 71 New Member 1000 Posts

This is a great question!! I too am struggling to find the strengh to quit.
    "I wish i knew how to quit you":)
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2010