How do I disable delayed auto locking?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by koolbia, May 15, 2013.

1. koolbia

koolbia New Member

What is the purpose of the delayed locking feature on my 07 Silverado? I've absolutly HAD IT with my truck locking me out!!

The first time this happened my truck was new and I hopped out to pump gas, closed my driver door (keys halfway in ignition) and heard my truck lock. Crap. Had my neighbor bring me my spare keys. Note to self, do not leave keys in ignition and close door! Lesson learned...or so I thought.

The next time this happened, I remembered the security locking feature and took my keys out of the ignition, placed them in cup holder, then jumped out to pump gas. It was raining and I closed my driver door. THE DOOR LOCKED! Wth the keys weren't even in the ignition?!?! Again, friend brought my spare. Lesson cemented, engrained, forever carved into my memory. I never, repeat NEVER, close my doors if my keys are inside my truck.

I went for years without issue. Sometimes I hear a chime as I exit my truck and I know that means my doors are going to auto lock at some point. I can't really determine or notice a rhyme or reason for when it happens. I'm not sure what triggers it or why sometimes I hit the lock button and my doors won't lock until after I've closed the door? It really isn't imporatant because I simply learned to NEVER close the door if the keys are inside.

However this past weekend admist running errands I left my keys on the backseat with the rear door open while I changed my sons diaper on the tailgate. In my head I reminded myself not to close the door. As I was changing a poopy diaper, someone was trying to pull into the parking spot next to me so my son's dad reached over and shut my truck door. !#@$% PANIC immediately set in and before I could get any words out I heard the all too familiar fatal CLICK of my doors locking.

Now I keep my manual door unlocker (a bent piece of metal) in the bed of my truck & have scratched up my passenger side door jamb breaking into my truck.

How the hell do I disable this wonderful "auto lock" feature?

I am a big girl, I would love it if the only time my truck locked it was because I was turning a key or pushing my fob.
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member

The press and no lock function is made like that on purpose. The entire idea is that you can turn your truck off, put your keys in your POCKET, press lock, there should be a chime that sounds when you do this. Then after you shut your drivers door you have 5 seconds to walk to any other door and open it. It will not lock until 5 seconds after all doors are closed. I use it all the time on my yukon xl. I park, put my keys in my pocket, open the door, press lock, close my door, open my 2 year old son's door and put his shoes on (always kicks them off). Grab the 2 year old, close his door, walk around the truck and grab my 4 year old. Close his door, now I have full hands and after 5 seconds the doors all lock. If you don't want it to do it, then don't press the lock button.
  3. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member

But it can be turned off. My doors lock when I push the lock button and do not lock if I close the door. It's one of the options on the DIC.

Btw Vanessa, leaving the key all the way in the ignition, in the off position, will cause the locked door to re-open after a couple of seconds, leaving it 1/2 out will not force an unlock.
  4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member

lol, you are correct. Every time I disconnect my battery I have to go into the DIC and turn it back on
  5. koolbia

koolbia New Member

Guys I do not have a DIC. I have a 2007 LT. I have changed other settings but it usually involves the old school GM programming...pump gas pedal twice, turn left blinker on, honk horn, etc. chain of commands. I can't seem to find the old school way to disable this feature. I know there's got to be a way.

Understanding how it works is helpful, although the times I hit the lock button and have locked myself out it is always accidental as the lock button is where my hand naturally grabs the door.
  6. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member

Haha, I looked it up for you today. You need to hold the LOCK switch on the door and push the UNLOCK twice on the key FOB remote.
  7. koolbia

koolbia New Member

Serious? Or are you screwing with me? This won't make my doors lock & unlock every 30 seconds or anything? :glasses:
  8. stchman

stchman New Member

I am assuming you have a 2007 NNBS trucks, yes your truck has a DIC, it just does not have the buttons. You will need to get a new panel for the buttons.

http://gmt900.wrath.org/dic.htm

The DIC wires are in there, just you do not have the DIC interface.

GM did not normally put the DIC stuff on there for the 4.8L engines, why, I have no idea.
  9. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member

No, haha, I looked it up in my owner's manual, it's a different year, but it should work the same. I'll see if I can find a copy of yours.

OK, here is a copy of your manual http://www.gm.ca/media/owners/manuals/2007_Chevrolet_Silverado_Manual_en_CA.pdf
    page 121 has info on the Delayed Locking, however, I do not see the non-DIC way of changing it.

If I was you, I'd try my manuals suggestion, just don't leave the keys in the truck while trying it. The worst that could happen is that it doesn't work.

Let us know.