1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How do I find a 1973 K5 Blazer?

Discussion in 'Chevy Blazer Forum (GMC Jimmy)' started by Cheif Brody, May 17, 2010.

1. Cheif Brody

Cheif Brody New Member

I have the fever for a 1973 Chevy Blazer K5 and I have searched many websites and classifieds....does ayone have any tips on how to find one?

I guess I could go driving around and see if I see one...

Does anyone know of a site or place where I might find one...any tips would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Any particular reason why you want a '73 K5 Blazer? If there's something that's very special about them, chances are any that are left are either ready for the scrapyard or are being held onto by their owners. Down here, Blazers (especially in the 4x4 variety) aren't very common, so I gave up the search and went with a 1982 Bronco. Not a Chevy, but essentially the same bodystyle.
  3. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 New Member

Ebay motors,cars.com, autotrader.com classic, last craigslist.
  4. Cheif Brody

Cheif Brody New Member

There's nothing special about them other than the sentimental reason I want one...it is the model that Roy Scheider drove as Cheif Brody in the original Jaws...

In fact, for collectors, I think the later 70's models are more desirable?
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

73 was the first year for that body style, it might be hard to find an actual 73 but the body style didnt change for a few years, I think around 78 was the first change and if I remember correctly the grill and headlights changed and the top became a half top.
    Craigslist and Ebay would be your best bet.
  6. Cheif Brody

Cheif Brody New Member

I found one on Craig's List....I am not sure how you go about making a purchase like this. Have any of you?
    I am a bit scared of buying a vehicle I haven't seen and I am not even sure how you do the transaction so you don't get ripped off.

Do used care dealers and major car dealer have a way to search that we don't have access to?
  7. j-schmizzle

j-schmizzle New Member 1000 Posts

since u checked ebay & craigslist....
    did you try searching and skimming through u're local Penny Saver Adds?
    Auto/diablo trader magazines?
    the main street in your city that people park they auto's for sale?
    did you try the police auctions in your area?
    your local jy maybe?
    last resort would be to pay an auto broker to find one for you.
  8. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 New Member

Craiglist is full of scammers,if you cant pick it up your self dont do it.
    Ask for the vin# and do a carfax.Dont sent money!!
  9. KidHauler

KidHauler New Member

As the proud owner of what used to be a 1975 Jimmy (look in the K5 Forum), I'll chime in cuz I love these trucks.

73-75 are the years of this body style and roof; they went to half roofs in 76. I can't prove it, but I think there was a change in the floor pan in 75, so not everything swaps to 73, 74. (?)

I don't know where you live, but if you salt in the winter, there aren't any of these trucks in your area. When I was searching for replacement bodies, I found most of these trucks in CA, AZ, WA, CO and TX. There were a few decent project trucks, but the majority are basket-cases or gazillion dollar show trucks. Again, I was just looking for the tub.

If you find running gear; say, for instance, the afore mentioned former 75 of mine here in MI, there are complete fiberglass bodies, and Wyoming Classic Cars (.com) had a few steelies for under $500.

Check classicautotrader, Hemmings, and any other old car sites - you might get lucky.

Good luck, and keep me posted.
  10. Whitekoolaid

Whitekoolaid New Member