1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

How do I find out if I have a dual mass or single mass flywheel?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by kuzco, Apr 5, 2012.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. kuzco

kuzco New Member

I'm working on getting the parts together for my 1995 Chevrolet K2500 P/U 4WD to replace the clutch, flywheel, and flexplate, and I was curious whether I have the dual mass or single mass flywheel. My engine is the 6.5L Turbocharged "F" engine L65.

2. dipstick

dipstick Member 2 Years 100 Posts

You probably do if it has not been change . Will be a two part flywheel half on engine side ..other on trans.
    Was a update on these to replace with a one piece. Google this for info.

3. kuzco

kuzco New Member

I was reading about converting from dual mass to single mass flywheels online and I saw that it's possible but could possibly damage the drivetrain due to the engines vibration when the clutch is engaged, is this still a issue?

4. dipstick

dipstick Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Dual mass is what 1200 to 1400 bucks can get a whole kit to do the swap for around 800 maybe cheaper.
    Single is better do not have to worry about flywheel springs ect. flying apart.
    On the dual your truck will not have a harmonic balance ..flywheel takes vibration away.
    When you get a single will get a balance for the drive shaft. But may still feel a little vibration.
    What dummy came up with the dual system blows my mind.