How do i get oil/tar off crom rims...

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by doss, Dec 20, 2011.

1. doss

doss New Member

A road by my house is haveing new pavment layed on it. I didnt relize that there was wet oil on it before it was to late oil got all on my truck and my rims. I was able to wash most of the oil off the truck by could'nt get it off my rims. I head Mean Green would help i bought some Tar Remover fm walmart. Plz help

2. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

You could try simple green. No matter what you use , you will definately need to get it completely clean and give it a good coat of wax. Most harsh chemicals will remove any wax or paint sealant.

3. Pancake2010

Pancake2010 New Member

Had the same problem, only thing i used was SOS pads. Sure you might be thinking twice about using steel wool on your chrome but it really works. Just be sure to put on some wax after your done.

4. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

steel wool can be really good for cleaning chrome, but it is VERY important to make sure it is the finest variety. Anything else will leave scratches. To clean mine, I use a new sponge with some warm water with car wash soap. Other than one little piece of tar that stuck to the aluminum back of my chrome wheels, I haven't had anything that couldn't come off that way.

Once you have them clean, I would consider either waxing your wheels or putting a sealant on them. I put a wheel sealant on mine this year that is made by GTechniq. It's expensive at $50 for something like a 50ml bottle, but a little bit goes a long way... I did all 4 20" wheels (chrome face and the aluminum back) and still have about a third of the bottle left. Its also supposed to be good for up to 2 years too. Putting that on my wheels has kept them in noticeably better shape this year and they are much easier to clean than before.

5. marine59

marine59 Member

W.D.40 always works even on paint it will not harm paint or sealers applies to the rims spray it on towel it off

6. MH01

MH01 New Member

I agree with Marine59, WD40 or Goo Gone, a sponge, a little elbow grease, and maybe some patience to let the WD40 soak in will work wonders. Mineral spirits will also work. You will need to clean and re-wax the area after the tar comes off.

7. Drake_korthos

Drake_korthos Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

X2 on the Goo Gone, that stuff's worked wonders on my truck with everything from sap, fat bugs, and tar. Spray on, let it soak a bit, and then wipe away.

8. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Goo Gone works good but it is citrus based and will remove wax or sealant. Same thing with WD40. There is no good solution that will not strip off wax or sealant of your paint surface.

9. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Goo gone works great, but try it in a small spot first ... you never know!

(thread moved to the detailing and appearance forum)

10. crwdsm

crwdsm New Member

WD-40 X2, it works the best without scratching the chrome. I use windex and pledge after to wipe off any other residue. I used pledge for everything on my Harley last year, it cleans it all including chrome.