How do i put an Avalanche Radio w/ Steering wheel controls in to a Colorado.

Discussion in 'Chevy Colorado Forum (GMC Canyon)' started by MadMarsian, Nov 17, 2010.

1. MadMarsian

MadMarsian New Member

I am looking for some help/advise on what I am trying to do with my 2008 Colorado. My truck has a regular radio CD/MP in it. I want to put in an original Chevy/GM radio that can be controlled from a steering wheel. My current radio/ wheel do not have this option. I was thinking about taking a radio and a steering wheel out of a Avalanche or other GM truck that has this combination available and putting it in to my Colorado. Can anyone advise if this was done before, what issues I could run in to or is it even possible? Reason why I want to take one out of an avalanche is because I was unable to locate a original 2008 Colorado steering wheel with controls/ radio combination, if anyone knows about existence of such combo please let me know.

Thank you for your help

2. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the G M T C ! I have wondered that myself, but have not heard of anyone doing it. I do know that the ones built in Tialand for non-import has it as an option. That doesn't help us a lot though. Good luck!

3. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome!! I went down that route a while ago and was not able to find a reasonable solution (meaning very expensive). I ended up getting an aftermarket head unit with a remote control. And acutally, I like it even better than when I did have a vehicle with steering controls, as the remote control can control many more features. But you do have to take one hand of the wheel to use, so for those who always drive with two hands on the wheel, I would not recommend.

4. MadMarsian

MadMarsian New Member

Thank you for answers, I was hoping to avoid getting commercial radio and hoping to stick to 'original parts'. I guess i will have to deviate from that plan :)

5. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Yeah...I am sure it can be done, but it just entailed too much work and was way above my skill level. Good luck!

6. bwhitt86

bwhitt86 Rockstar

Its definetly gonna be cheaper goin with an aftermarket radio but just to warn you it is still pricey. Your gonna need a special harness that about $100 because gms started useing data wires instead of accessory wires which the harness fixes and also the door chime is ran through the radio so it goes through your speaker an the harness also has a lil speaker so you still have a chime. Plus a kit which is about $20 and antenna adapter which is about $13 unless your fine without radio.

7. WestCoastColy

WestCoastColy Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Stereos with steering wheel controls fro mother GM vehicles will not work in the Colorado/Canyon. The body control module (BCM) does not have the parameters for those stereos.

Much more cost effective to get an aftermarket in-dash DVD/Navi HU. The Kenwood DNX9960 has voice command. No need for steeringwheel controls then! :great: