1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How do I remove auto grade adhesive?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by drbjr11, Sep 14, 2009.

1. drbjr11

drbjr11 New Member

How can I safely remove adhesive from my truck without messing up the paint?
  2. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

Heat gun on low setting, then either peel the molding off by hand or use some high test fishing line and run it behind the molding strip. Then use some adhsive remover to get the rest of the glue off. You can also look on youtube there are some viseos of doing that others have posted
  3. tattooed4life

tattooed4life New Member

I use zippo lighter fluid. Sounds crazy but it works great, it's strong enough to get the glue but it won't hurt the paint. Put it this way I use it at work to remove decals from $250,000 prototypes and I never worry about it hurting the paint which is PPG auto paint.
  4. redneckarmyMP

redneckarmyMP New Member

weve used the lighter fluid too and hes right it does the trick!
  5. drbjr11

drbjr11 New Member

Would wd-40 work? It says that it removes sticky substances.
  6. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

7. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

how do i remove autograde adhesive

I used 3m adhesive wheel, but I precleaned with 3m adhesive remover because I could see some dirt in the old adhesive on the truck. After I remover the adhesive I cleaned again wth the adhesive remover and then polished and waxed area. I did this on my black Z-71 and had no marks left in the paint. Take your time.
  8. Papi Chino

Papi Chino New Member

heat gun to soften up the glue/moulding. i used Turtle Wax mild rubbing compound to remove the leftover glue. sounds crazy but it works.
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  9. IThurstSObad

IThurstSObad New Member

ive used lighter fluid and gas to remove adhesive..because it works. but yeah id deff go with the 3m adhesive remover and just take ur time.
  10. BhamWhitey

BhamWhitey New Member

WD-40 will do great works on any adhesive problem, I sometimes use it when I get tar from the road like when you may go through a construction zone where the roads are being repaved and you get tar down the side of you're truck spray WD-40 on it let it sit for about 20-30 minutes and just wipe it off with a rag, WD-40 does great.