Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

How do Torsion Bar Keys Work?

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by Jarrett, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Jarrett

Jarrett Rockstar 100 Posts

Just wondering how torsion bar keys work. If I install these, will I lose ride quality? By installing these, will I bind up my torsion bars and make them become weak over time? If anyone has any answers I would appreciate it.

2. Jarrett

Jarrett Rockstar 100 Posts

Just wondering how torsion bar keys work. If I install these, will I lose ride quality? By installing these, will I bind up my torsion bars and make them become weak over time? If anyone has any answers I would appreciate it.

3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

The main purpose of torson bar keys is to level the truck from SIDE to SIDE, not to level from front to back. Thats why when you look at your adjustment bolts for the keys one side seems to have more threads showing on the bolt than the other side. This is because of thing like the fuel tank is on one side of the truck. Also GM make about 30 differant torson bars, this is how GM adjust the front of the trucks for the differant models. If you adjust the t/bars to much the truck will ride like a tank and you will lose suspension travel. Changing to a differant key is just a cheap way to lift the truck, but not the wright way. I think in a few years t/bars keys are going to be like the throttle body spacers, they will go to the way side. People will realize they arent that great. Changing the t/bars is the wright way to do it, but its more money. Hope this helps you.

4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

See your other post.

5. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

*Threads Merged*

Please don't double post in different parts of the forum.

6. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

the new keys have a different index than stock, it basically changes the position the torsion bar sits in the key so you don't loose ride quality, it is a safe and practical way of lifting the front of the truck and i don't see it going to the way side anytime soon since it is cheaper than a full lift and more practical than replacing the torsion bars