1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

how do you beat gps tracking installed on work van?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by starsilverado, Sep 1, 2009.

1. starsilverado

starsilverado New Member 100 Posts

Just wondering not like I would try anything:glasses:
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

* WINNER - Random suspicious comments of the month *

Prize? Raised eyebrows.

Not sure, if it's GPS you could maybe put a dark plastic bag over it so the GPS signal gets lost? It will report that it was not connected though.
  3. tattooed4life

tattooed4life New Member 100 Posts

I think if your company can't pick up your truck on the radar they are going to think one of two things--1) gps tracking unit isn't working correctly and needs to be fixed or2) it's been tampered with by the driver and then that opens up a whole can of crap!!
  4. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

What are you up to??? If you are where you are supposed to be you wouldn't be worried about GPS.
  5. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

i think he might be wanting t drive it when he isnt supposed to, my dads company van was like that and his boss was notified when it was started
  6. s5belford

s5belford New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

hahaha, suspicious comment of the month for sure!!!
  7. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

If it is the ever popular and ubiquitous Qualcomm system (about 6" white dome on the roof) I have heard that if you cover said white dome with aluminum foil it will lose all communications with the sattelites. Then again, if you get your dispatches and such with the system, you won't get 'em... And like others said, you will almost certainly be noticed by whoever runs your tracking system.
  8. starsilverado

starsilverado New Member 100 Posts

:glasses:NO not up to anything just wondering, I saw a transmitter you plug into cig lighter to jam signal online was just wondering.
    BTW some of the guys have unplugged the power and found out real quick how to draw attention to themselves.
    I am where I am suppossed to be and if I mess up I am more then willing to take responsibility for my actions. We have a bean counter running reports from the data and supervisors get an e-mail alert for excessive idle time, start and stop times, speeding, and red zones. It is connected to a GARMIN NUVI.
    I was in a meeting with my supervisor and he got an alert that my van was idling! Same day he was riding with me and he got an alert that I was going 139 mph!!! Works well!!! I do not think my heavy 3500 Express would get anywhere near that speed.
  9. tattooed4life

tattooed4life New Member 100 Posts

Sounds like one of those fool proof million dollar i spy systems that doesn't work for Sh@T!!!!
  10. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Yeah some genius at our company went with the "TomTom Work" system. The excuse was to improve efficiency, safety and vehicle recovery in the event of a theft.

No big deal I used to work for PacTel Teletrac so I'm immune to being tracked. I just go where I'm supposed to be. Also, our company lets us use the vehicle for personal use so after hours I can be anywhere I want.

It sends a message to the boss when you exceed the speed limit and he responds with a text to slow down.
    I try and stay within the posted limit. There is no advantage to speeding since I'm hourly and get paid for all my windshield time.

The fleet manager can send messages regarding service or mfg recalls.

The guys who carry their surfboards and golf clubs in the back of their truck had better be careful.

The only real plus I can see is that if it weeds out the 20% who are slackers overall productivity and morale would improve.

Position is determined with gps, it backhauls the info over the GSM cellular network. You could disable the unit, but that will raise a flag. You could jam the frequency, but again if you are untrackable, your absence will still attract attention.

When I park under some microwave towers I "disappear" from view due to interference. My supervisor hasn't questioned those incidents, but the system is new, so I'm sure as the usage increases, I'll have to explain my whereabouts. Also since the system relys on only one antenna, it can create faulty readings, so you will see the wrong location and speed from time to time.

Yesterday the boss called to have me handle an outage and he asked: "Where are you?" and I just laughed at the thought, that it was easier for him to call and ask rather than log in and track me.

Some GPS info:

A GPS satellite transmits two carrier signals in the microwave range, designated as L1 and L2 (frequencies located in the L-Band between 1000 and 2000 MHz).

Civil GPS receivers use the L1 frequency with 1575.42 MHz (wavelength 19.05 cm). The L1 frequency carries the navigation data as well as the SPS code (standard positioning code).

The L2 frequency (1227.60 MHz, wavelength 24.45 cm) only carries the P code and is only used by receivers which are designed for PPS (precision positioning code). Mostly this can be found in military receivers.