1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How do you get tar off your truck?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by ChevyFan, Jan 16, 2012.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

How do you get tar off your truck? I've been using a few different products and some elbow grease but it still seems like a pain. The roads are so bad in north texas that they are constantly putting tar and asphalt on them to patch the potholes and cracks. Keep getting tar streaks on my rides.
  2. gatormike69

gatormike69 Member

WD 40 has worked for me in the past
  3. Dylan@Adams

Dylan@Adams New Member

is it just light specs of tar or do you have larger blobs stuck to the paint?
  4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

It's the light streaks of tar that go on for upwards of like 8 or 10 inches.
  5. Dylan@Adams

Dylan@Adams New Member

I usually start with a pressure washer and wide fan tip... come at the tar from a steep angle and the pressure should knock a lot of it loose, also use this method to get it out of your wheel wells as there is bound to be plenty there.

After that you can use either a diluted All Purpose Cleaner or 70% Isoproyl Alcohol on a microfiber towel to gently wipe at the remaining specs. Be warned, it will ruin whatever towel you use so be prepared to part ways with a good towel.

After that a claying to remove any tiny contamination thats left, polish to remove any imperfections or marring caused by the process, then seal or wax with your preferred products.
  6. MTM

MTM New Member ROTM Winner

I've heard baby oil works really good
  7. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

WD40 works good but if you use anything to take it of it is advised to wash thoroughly and put a coat of wax on. Anything that is capable of removing tar will strip the wax off and some products can actually strip some of the clearcoat.
  8. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

For hard to get off tar I use Artex Takes it right off after some good wax..
  9. Dana W

Dana W Member

Once I ran over a tube of black roofing caulk, basicly tar. It squirted all over my wheel and rocker panel, the tube stuck to the tire and rubbed the rim of the wheel well for several revolutions. The stuff got all over the outside of the left rear fender. I just used Turtle wax bug & tar remover per directions, then washed and waxed with great success even though I had to wait a couple of weeks to clean it up due to freezing weather.

Now, ifin I wuz still down home, this heah be how ta'git that tar offen yer truck. First thang yah do is unhang that thar spar tar outn under thah truck. Then yah gits thah jack outn the truck. Then yah jacks up that truck real high, and yah unduz them lugs, an pulls off that tar. Then ya'll be puttin on that thar spar tar, an' unjackin that thar truck. I'mah hopin' that be helpin ya'll.:happy:
  10. 747

747 New Member

I use these wipes, they are citrus based so they are safe to use on car paint. They work GREAT for tar, bugs, etc...

300.jpg