1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How do you go from offensive to terrorism?

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by TrailLeadr, Jan 31, 2007.

1. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Member 1000 Posts

This should really be in a "Off Topic" thread, but we don't have one of those yet <hint hint, Steve>:tongue:.

This article is about the promotional images that were found around Boston regarding the TV show "Aqua Teen Hunger Force"
    So the imagery is of characters from the show giving drivers the finger. Apparently this was part of a promotional gimmick.

I'm having trouble understanding how someone looked at one of these LED signs, of an obviously cartoon-ish person flipping them off, and felt that this could be terrorism. Ok, I read the rest of the article, and because there was a circuit board, and wires on it...therefore it must be a bomb. I wonder how these people would react if they knew that there was circuitry, and wires in their work telephones, copy machines, coffee makers, and such. What if one day the casing was broke, and the wiring exposed.:eek::eek::eek:

I'm sure I can say with much certainty that we have become a very paranoid people these days. I won't say it's not without good reason, but come on. Do people really think that a terrorist is going to put a bomb in something that draws your attention to it? Not likely.
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

That would suck to be arrested to that and thrown into the slammer. "What are you here for, tiny!" ... "err, I planted some comics around town...you?" ... "I killed a guy for looking at me funny!"
  3. TrailLeadr

So no one in Austin thought much of these things I guess. It's just those paranoid Bostonians. They were placed in 10 other cities, and it was probably some ninny, without a clue who started a panic.
    I think I agree with the Mayor, on taking a hard stand, but to be honest, If someone didn't over react, and make more of it than what should have been there would have been no perceived threat. I think it's a little harsh to be pressing for maximum penalties on this. Seriously what could be the crime?
    It's not vandalism, nothing was defaced. At most it's obscene. It's not a bomb, or a terrorizing device. Nothing on it indicates it was a threat.
    So by the same token, if I'm walking down the street, and I see a peculiar paper bag is laying on the sidewalk. I call the police, and panic the city over a piece of garbage. Should the city then finger print the bag, and charge the person who last touched it with a crime, even if it were littering, just because the homeland security was involved? Sounds like a bit much.

Can you imaging what would have happened to Orsen Wells if he had broadcast the war of the worlds today? He'd be arrested, and they'd attempt to sentence him to death. Simply because some people didn't hear the disclaimer that it was fictional story.

OK, I'll get off my soap box now.:redface:
  4. ChevyFan

I remember about 10 years ago in Seattle some "artist" painted the word BOMB all over an old pickup truck (with a camper shell on the back of it, I believe) and parked it in the middle of a crowded intersection in downtown. He got out, slashed all four tires with a knife and walked away, leaving hundreds of bystanders with their jaws dropped.

THAT created a panic and several blocks were shut down for half the day. He was arrested, but said it was just an act of art that was protected under the first ammendment. I'm not sure what ever happened to that guy.
  5. ChevyFan

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  6. KD7ONE

KD7ONE New Member

If this happenned before 9/11, it would be viewed a lot differently.
  7. TrailLeadr

That's true.
  8. TrailLeadr

I just read that Dallas is responding to this issue similarly as Boston is. They want to charge Turner Networks a fine for the guerrilla marketing campaign. (as they're calling it)
    I can't find any articles to support this, so I'm wondering if it's really a regional pass the secret kind of thing. Someone read the Boston article, and told someone else about it, and before you know it the story has changed and now it's Dallas instead of Boston.

Have you guys heard anything about it?
  9. ChevyFan

The president of the Cartoon network had to resign over this situation. He should have just taken off like 3 months and rode out the wave. People are forgetting already.
  10. TrailLeadr

Well, they got the attention they were craving. I wonder if it was worth it.