How do you guys do it?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Wrench, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Wrench

Wrench Rockstar

I gotta know how you guys do it. Spend so much on your vehicles(they look f***ing badass)

I am so hesitant to buy stuff or do stuff to it because i dont want to mess anything up.
    :lol: but yet i still want to do stuff to it like Fender Flares, rims and tires, take all the chrome out, spray in bed liner, and N-Fab side steps.

Either you guys got balls of steel or im quite the pansy.

2. c_m_chance

c_m_chance Rockstar 100 Posts

Now THIS! is funny! HAHA!:lol:

3. chschevy58

chschevy58 Rockstar 100 Posts

no offense but you are no doubt a pansy. i understand not wanting to lift it high but the least you could do is a spray in bed liner and n-fabs. hhahaha get your butt to work on ur truck

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  4. 383man

383man Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

lol, well, i won't call you a pansy, i just started small and worked my way up to bigger things lol. theres very little you can do to your vehicle that can't be reversed, just make sure you put planning time into your projects before taking the sawzall to it, an ounce of planning is worth a pound of doing...i think thats how that goes anyways lol, if you have questions just ask us, we'll hook ya up with info

5. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Wrench-

That's a good question actually. It's one of those things that a little intimidating but it's really quite simple once you get going. You can either go for a look (which I suggest) or just start adding stuff you think is "nice" as you go along.

The issue is always...money. In a big way. There's nothing you can do (or... actually... have DONE) to your truck but that money thing...that's the big thing that gets in the way.

But just keep in mind...what is the look you would like, ultimately, and what kind of look would you like on the way to achieving that ultimate look?

I like the big, beefy, rugged-type of black stealthy look, if there is such a thing for the suburban. I like to be driving down the road and have ppl say ".....w..t...h...is...THAT!?" as opposed to "wow..that's a huge lifted truck!"

So, pick a truck you like out of all the pictures after you figure out what you want it to look like and just start hacking at it. Keep in mind...it's a truck. It's YOUR truck. Make it YOUR truck. When you moved into your house you painted the walls, you put up pictures, you got your furniture, you redid the patio and made the walkway bigger and changed it to brick.. you made it yours. Do the same with your truck.

Then....start picking the things you want and add to it, one piece at a time. If you don't like something.. change it back. If you don't like the painted grill, paint it another colour, modify it, or paint it the original colour.

Have fun with it, that's pretty much why a lot of people are here on the GMTC.

6. chschevy58

what he said

7. Wrench

Wrench Rockstar

thanks for the awesome response Springthing. Yeah i was mainly gearing the question towards money wise. but like ya said if ya do it one piece at a time it wont seem like such a big hit.

Now another question i have is, start off with the more expensive stuff(i.e. wheels and tire) or the somewhat smaller stuff first?

lol dont worry i can take constructive criticism. Its just this 2007 Silverado is the newest vehicle i ever bought and im always hesitant when it comes to doing stuff to new things.

8. chschevy58

i bought my 2007 silverado new bodystyle off the lot as soon as they came out. i started small. tinted my windows first ($100). then about few months later i did exhaust ($330). then 2 1/2 years later i did my leveling kit and wheels and tires(about $2500). then yesterday i moved to the interior and had my touch screen headunit ... subs ... and amp installed (about $800). and i have done a few minor things here and there that were cheap ... like smoked tail lights ($75)... painted handles($70) ... painted bowtie(about $5 because i did it myself).

... i treat it like its my new born haha

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  9. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

When i had a new rig, i went for the little things and stepped up as my wallet would allow.. Now that i have an older rig i think i have more in repairs and mods (ive owned it since the middle of march) than i have into the purchase price.. BUt i still took my time,.. The only thing that really cost me was the rims (paid $300 with tires) and the cost of mounting the new tires from my brand new rig. And putting the used tires off of the bought rims onto the new truck... But otherwise a lot of what i do is junk yard digging.......
    As for a new truck as i said above, and honestly springthing couldnt have put it any better..

10. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Tire/wheels, to me, at the one and only biggest things you can do to change the entire 'feel' of your car/truck. Take an old beater car...1970's-ish...and put on some Cragars and you've gone from a POS to a car you'll find in the movies the rugged cop or the hero drives around everywhere with the open headers and all. :)

But that's major bucks... If I were you and I'd be kind of tight on money, I'd find accessories. A pushbar, new grill, new rack, new headlights/taillights. That's stuff that's anywhere from $75 to a few hundred.

If you can....save up for a lift. Don't go HIGH if you are keeping your factory wheels or you'll look silly. (or at least get some taller and/or more rugged looking tires!)

Again, hope this helps.

Oh...have a look through the albums here and see what others have done. Pick out what you like the most and see what you can do to get the look going on your own truck.

Good luck!