1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

How do you keep your truck clean?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by ChevyFan, Jun 1, 2007.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I'm guilty, I haven't hand washed a vehicle in years. I go to the drive-through car wash and let the machine do the work.

However, I still like to put a coat of wax on it every month in the spring and summer.

What does everyone else do?

2. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

well usually my vehicles are caked with mud so the car wash guys just laugh at me and tell me to go somewhere else. On occasion i will hand wash it, it just comes out better that way.

3. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I'm a hand washer. I use my pressure washer and attachments at home. I have not been to a car wash in years. I just waxed mine a couple of weeks ago. :great:

4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I hand wash once a month and run them through the auto wash about twice a month.

5. GM_Guy

GM_Guy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

mine gets cleaned every time it rains :)
    it's free :)

6. 89suburban350

89suburban350 Rockstar 100 Posts

i use some stuff called meguires elite car wash concentrate... really good stuff for whenever you need a good shine and then i use meguires hot shine tire shine and then hot wheels wheel cleaner...then i clean the pipes with some brillo pads to keep em shiny... Ill wax it at the beginning of the month... i wash my burb about 3 times a month..

7. Davandy

Davandy Moderator 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I'm a hand washer too, I never go to the carwash.
    The Savana will get stuck in there. :rofl:

8. BINGO53

BINGO53 New Member

I definitely prefer to hand wash. I used to enjoy it as a Saturday ritual, but no longer have the physical stamina to do it as I like it done. I try to avoid the automatic car wash, because over time they do wear away at your finish. I prefer Meguire's products. Since the advent of good clear coat paint systems, I have not been much for waxing. What are the rest of you using for wax on your clear coat enamels? I usually go to the "quarter wash" as needed, and then as I am able do a good hand wash, complete with Q-Tips in the door jambs.

The new Nox is the first black vehicle I have owned. I have trouble w/water spots when drying it at home. The spot free rinse at "quarter wash" is great, but the garden hose water evidently has minerals. Does anyone know of a good rinse product?

Respectfully,
    BINGO53 :great:

9. Flatman

Flatman Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Hand wash every weekend unless it's raining (which has been killing me lately). I can't stand getting a crappy wash at a drive-thru and I don't trust those guys anyway!!!

10. NHSilverado

NHSilverado Former Member

Ha! would take me a week to go over how I keep my vehicle clean if I were to go into real detail( no pun intended ). I am a detail fanatic and my truck is seldom dirty.

Pretty much...

Hand wash daily weather permitting( touch free car wash 2 X's p/week during winter when I can't do it myself ).

Cleaner Wax, Polish( sometimes the colored variety to help with any scratches ), Premium Wax( Carnuba ) once p/ month once temps hit 50 degrees. Light weight quality wax every other week as a touch up also weather permitting. Once temps drop below 50 I will run it through the touch free car wash 1 p/week until I can no longer wash it myself and then it is covered by the 2X's p/week mentioned above.

Vacuumed almost daily year round barring wet weather that day. Windows washed 2-3 X's p/week. Dash and door panels treated 1 p/week & dusted daily( TIP - Pledge "Grab-It" untreated dusting cloths work GREAT to remove dust and such from your interior trim/dash :great: ).

Literally my vehicles look as good as the day they were brand new, if not better, even 3-4 years down the road when I sell them. Now, this is not to say my truck is NEVER dirty. Things happen and I am not always able to clean it as I like. Duck season is especially hard as not only am I in and out covered with mud and dirt but so is the dog plus it is winter time so we have a double dose of dirt. Some of the job sites can be really messy as well.

Pretty much though my truck is kept spotless and sparkling. Can't stand a dirty vehicle.

I pretty much only use Meguiar's products as well. When possible I use their Gold Class line. Nothing better out there so readily available IMO.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2007