1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

How do you remove and lower body lifts and suspension lifts?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by CMS, Aug 13, 2010.

1. CMS

CMS New Member

I bought a 1999 Silverado and it currently has 9 inches of lift with 35 inch tires and a 4.8 liter V8 is powering it and i want to put smaller tires on for improved gas mileage and lower what it has for a lift to improve handling. it currently has a 6 inch suspension lift, and 3 inch body lift. I dont want the body lift at all and I only want 3 or 4 inches of suspension lift. is there a way to lower that 6 inch suspension lift down to 3 or 4 inch or do i need a whole new lift installed? please reply with any feedback you have on removing the body lift as well as lowering the suspension lift as i need pointers on both. Thank you!
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

You will need a new suspension lift in order to reduce it down. As to the body lift it should be as easy as removing the lift blocks and reinstalling the the body on its perches, and possibly depending on the steering shaft you may need to remove an extension...
  3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

After you remove the bodylift you can turn the torsen bar adjuster down. Be careful here because if you go to far you won't be able to get the front realigned. If you know somebody at the alignment shop that would be the place to make the adjustments. After you get the front done just adjust the rear. Assuming the rear has lift blocks, just change the blocks and U-bolts.

---------- Post added at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

I forgot in my last post, you can get a copy of the bodylift instructions from the companies website and just go in reverse to take the kit off. You can get the body mount bolts from a GM dealer, there not to expensive.
  4. murdog94

Silver i thought if you installed a 6in lift you have to put in a drop bracket in for the torsion bars and A arms.. And you will need to remove that to maintain your ground clearance? Im just learning when it comes to some of these lifts however.
  5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Hey murdog94, you can lower the truck with a 6" lift about 2" which would give you a 4" lift. It just like you installed a 4" kit, you still have the drop brackets with a 4" kit. I MAY be during this with my truck as a old back injury is getting worse. Unfortunitly I installed rear lift spring so I will have to change my rear springs back to stock springs and then adjust with new blocks. So if I lower the truck 2" from the lift and go from 35's to a 33" I think that will help getting in and out of the truck. As you know every truck is differant so how much you can lower depends on the truck.
  6. murdog94

Thanks Silver. And good luck with the lowering..